Star-spangled banners, tight security and crowd barriers. All preparations for US President Barack Obama’s public inauguration.
Up to 800,000 are expected for the grand parade on Monday.
They’ll line the route down the National Mall and watch Obama and Vice President Joe Biden take their oaths in front of the Capitol.
Obama was officially sworn in at the White House on Sunday, where an inaugurational gala was held.
His brief speech emphasised his desire to unite America and the national work ethic.
“Make sure you know what we are celebrating is not the election or swearing-in of a President; what we are doing is celebrating each other and celebrating this incredible nation that we call home. And after we celebrate, let’s make sure to work as hard as we can to pass on an America that is worthy not only of our past but also of our future”.
The US President’s inauguration takes place on Martin Luther King Day. It’s a coincidence that carries great significance and resonance. As he embarks on his second term in office, he will symbolically take the oath on both Lincoln and King’s bibles.
- 1Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Flash floods in France leave a trail of death and destruction
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2German interior minister criticises lack of appreciation from some refugees
- 3ISIL operations centre in Idlib, Syria ‘destroyed’ by Russian airstrike
- 4Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 5Russian action ‘resets chessboard in Syria,’ says analyst
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Portugal’s centre-right is re-elected in parliamentary poll
French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
Turkish president accused of electioneering on foreign trip
Israeli police and Palestinians clash after stabbing attacks
Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims
Wires > News
- 01:18 CET Islamic State militants blow up ancient Arch of Triumph in Palmyra
- 00:44 CET Russia is conducting ‘asymmetric warfare’ in Syria – Hammond
- 22:44 CET Iraqi PM opens Baghdad’s fortified ‘Green Zone’ to public
- 22:19 CET Brazil attorney general urges new judge for key Rousseff case
- 21:44 CET Pakistani Taliban says hanged military officer as revenge for…
- 21:07 CET Putin promised to ask Ukraine rebels to cancel vote – Poroshenko
- 19:59 CET Turkey’s ruling AK Party backs presidential system in poll…
- 19:34 CET German finance minister says need to limit number of refugees…