Star-spangled banners, tight security and crowd barriers. All preparations for US President Barack Obama’s public inauguration.
Up to 800,000 are expected for the grand parade on Monday.
They’ll line the route down the National Mall and watch Obama and Vice President Joe Biden take their oaths in front of the Capitol.
Obama was officially sworn in at the White House on Sunday, where an inaugurational gala was held.
His brief speech emphasised his desire to unite America and the national work ethic.
“Make sure you know what we are celebrating is not the election or swearing-in of a President; what we are doing is celebrating each other and celebrating this incredible nation that we call home. And after we celebrate, let’s make sure to work as hard as we can to pass on an America that is worthy not only of our past but also of our future”.
The US President’s inauguration takes place on Martin Luther King Day. It’s a coincidence that carries great significance and resonance. As he embarks on his second term in office, he will symbolically take the oath on both Lincoln and King’s bibles.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
US shooting: police officer charged with murder
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777-Malaysia
- 11:48 CET China says ‘many’ countries sending troops for war anniversary
- 11:42 CET Cairo hearing in Al Jazeera journalists’ retrial adjourned – Al…
- 11:40 CET Greek PM tries to rein in leftists in party battle
- 11:37 CET Turkish military says three soldiers killed in PKK attack in the…
- 11:11 CET Taipei mayor won’t publicly back ‘One China’, Shanghai forum at…
- 10:46 CET Taliban disavows Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty