A fast-track court in New Delhi has begun the trial of five men accused of the rape and murder on a bus of a 23 year-old physiotherapy student in December. A sixth suspect will be tried in a juvenile court.
The case has come to court in rapid time considering India’s sclerotic legal system, such was the wave of public and international revulsion at the violence of the assault.
Protesters outside were keen to see that justice is done.
“We are saying basically no outfit is an invitation for rape, and this is the sort of culture that we have to change – the attitude towards women. And that’s why we need the government to commit a concrete, a concrete step which is a public education campaign,” said the organiser of the Avaaz.org protest, Pascal Vollenweider.
One of the accused is attempting to get the trial moved from the capital as he claims the atmosphere is so hostile a fair process is impossible.
The street protests following the attack were of a rare intensity, and many are striving to ensure this is a watershed moment for Indian women.
The accused are to made examples of say their lawyers, despite what they claim is tainted DNA evidence and police torture to obtain confessions.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Wires > News
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack