A small group of protesters clashed with police on Monday as Dutch troops arrived in the NATO airbase at Incirlik in Turkey, in the south-east.
25 arrests were made as the protesters tried to breach the security perimeter. The Dutch are part of a 1000-strong contingent including US and German soldiers who have been sent to man missile batteries, strengthening Turkey’s border with Syria.
German PAC-3 surface-to-air missiles also arrived on Monday at the nearby port of Iskenderun, to be greeted in their turn by demonstrations. Six Patriot batteries will be deployed; two each from the Netherlands, Germany and the US, at Turkey’s request.
Turkey demanded NATO assistance in December, after a series of border incidents involving Syrian planes, and artillery shells falling on Turkish soil. At one point there were also concerns that Syria might fire chemical weapons close to the border.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Dutch PM to Greece: only way to keep the euro is deep reform
Pope wows the crowds with first papal visit to Ecuador in 30 years
Ocean’s Eleven and Karate Kid producer Jerry Weintraub dies
Armenia police clear ‘electricity hike’ protest camp in capital
Italian police carry out anti-jihadi sweep in Pisa
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Explosives stolen from army base in France
- 07:37 CET Senegalese risk lives in migrant exodus despite stability at home
- 07:34 CET Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
- 07:31 CET Brothers arrested over links to Islamic State bombing in Kuwait -…
- 06:50 CET At least 13 dead in gun attack in northeast Kenya – Red Cross
- 05:36 CET The world’s oldest man dies in Japan, aged 112
- 04:12 CET Islamic State target Iraq’s Haditha town with vehicle bombs
- 04:05 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare