A small group of protesters clashed with police on Monday as Dutch troops arrived in the NATO airbase at Incirlik in Turkey, in the south-east.
25 arrests were made as the protesters tried to breach the security perimeter. The Dutch are part of a 1000-strong contingent including US and German soldiers who have been sent to man missile batteries, strengthening Turkey’s border with Syria.
German PAC-3 surface-to-air missiles also arrived on Monday at the nearby port of Iskenderun, to be greeted in their turn by demonstrations. Six Patriot batteries will be deployed; two each from the Netherlands, Germany and the US, at Turkey’s request.
Turkey demanded NATO assistance in December, after a series of border incidents involving Syrian planes, and artillery shells falling on Turkish soil. At one point there were also concerns that Syria might fire chemical weapons close to the border.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside