This is allegedly the mastermind behind the In Amenas gas facility attack in Algeria.
Now one of the world’s most wanted men, who is Mokhtar Belmokhtar?
Born in 1972 in Algeria, he reportedly trained in Afghanistan under al-Qaeda aged only 19.
He joined the war in Algeria in the 1990’s after a French-backed Algerian military annulled an election the Islamic Salvation Front was set to win. It was around this time he is said to have lost his left eye.
In 2003, a jihadi group he led was reportedly linked to the kidnapping of 31 European tourists.
He’s also wanted in Algeria for the murder of 13 customs officers in 2006.
After heading an al-Qaeda desert battalion between Mali and Algeria, Belmokhtar formed his own group in 2012.
Known as the “Signed-in-Blood Batallion,” the gas facility attack is its first major operation.
And until the man known as “Mr. Marlboro” for his cigarette-smuggling and “The Uncatchable,” by the French, is captured, the spectre of further attacks will remain.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Saudi says wanted militant killed in exchange of fire
- 15:38 CET Tunisia declares state of emergency after hotel attack – state…
- 15:26 CET Iraqi jets drop leaflets over Mosul promising to recapture city
- 15:24 CET Fidel Castro, 88, visits cheese-makers in rare public appearance
- 15:21 CET Taiwan president remembers Nationalist victory in Sino-Japan war
- 15:17 CET Russia outraged by Poland’s removal of Soviet war memorial
- 15:13 CET Egypt says kills 12 militants in air strikes as Sisi inspects…
- 14:26 CET Defence minister rejected as Taliban battle near Kabul