French and Malian armoured columns have rolled unopposed into the central Malian town of Diabaly which was taken by Islamist fighters a week ago.
The rural commune 350km north of the capital, Bamako, had harboured the main cluster of insurgents south of the front line towns of Mopti and Severe, but the Islamist rebels disappeared into the bush to avoid French air strikes.
There have been reports that some of them have abandoned their flowing robes and turbans to blend into the local population which has been through an ordeal in the last few days.
One resident said: We were really in agony here, we were locked up, no travelling, the rebels had invaded the village completely. There was bombing day and night, and shooting, everyone was trapped. We were hungry, we had nothing to eat, there was nothing, nothing at all.”
Euronews journalist François Chignac is embedded with French troops.
He says: “With Diabaly retaken by French troops, the “Serval” operation takes perhaps a new dimension. It protects the western flank of the French and pan-African troops, so they can now, perhaps, think about pushing further north.”
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
Europe responds to Syria’s spiralling crisis
Several trapped, 1 dead, in eastern Ukraine mine blast
Russia boosts western border defence with new divisions
The plight of Syrian refugees born in Lebanon and who could become stateless
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force