Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu looks on course for a third successive term in office. But it’s tight.
Polls show declining support for the incumbent and a prediction of only 63 seats out of 120 for his Likud party and coalition partner Beitenu – the narrowest of margins for victory.
This would leave him wide open to the whims of prospective coalition partners from other quarters.
Naftali Bennett is one such prospect. Israel’s new rock star politician has burst onto the scene and gained a surge of support, threatening to derail Netanyahu’s plans.
Bennett’s fervently right-wing Jewish Home Party is determined to block a Palestinian state.
But some decry the lack of any real alternatives to Netanyahu or Bennett.
Disaffected Palestinians and Israelis have banded together to form a Facebook campaign pressing for a new way to make themselves heard.
Shimri Zameret is the founder of “Real Democracy”. He told euronews:
“This is a project of Israelis and Palestinians who protest the lack of real democracy in Israel and in the U.N. system. The idea is that Israelis give their votes to Palestinians, essentially letting the Palestinian decide what they do on election day to protest the lack of democracy.”
A peace deal with Palestine rests on all Jewish settlements being removed from the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Netanyahu has promised NOT to dismantle any settlements, whilst Bennett calls for the annexation of large parts of the West Bank.
Whoever wins on Tuesday, the outcome is unlikely to make pleasant viewing for Palestinians.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Rome’s Fiumicino – How unlucky can an airport be?
- 16:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 15:54 CET Erdogan taking Turkey to war to avenge Kurdish gains – opposition
- 15:40 CET After Russia’s U.N. veto, countries seek court for downed flight…
- 15:14 CET Afghan Taliban names a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 15:12 CET Landslide near Nepal’s popular Annapurna trek route kills 30
- 15:00 CET German Social Democrats fret as ‘Mr Zig Zag’ stumbles
- 14:22 CET Tsipras seeks Greek ruling party members’ vote on bailout