Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu looks on course for a third successive term in office. But it’s tight.
Polls show declining support for the incumbent and a prediction of only 63 seats out of 120 for his Likud party and coalition partner Beitenu – the narrowest of margins for victory.
This would leave him wide open to the whims of prospective coalition partners from other quarters.
Naftali Bennett is one such prospect. Israel’s new rock star politician has burst onto the scene and gained a surge of support, threatening to derail Netanyahu’s plans.
Bennett’s fervently right-wing Jewish Home Party is determined to block a Palestinian state.
But some decry the lack of any real alternatives to Netanyahu or Bennett.
Disaffected Palestinians and Israelis have banded together to form a Facebook campaign pressing for a new way to make themselves heard.
Shimri Zameret is the founder of “Real Democracy”. He told euronews:
“This is a project of Israelis and Palestinians who protest the lack of real democracy in Israel and in the U.N. system. The idea is that Israelis give their votes to Palestinians, essentially letting the Palestinian decide what they do on election day to protest the lack of democracy.”
A peace deal with Palestine rests on all Jewish settlements being removed from the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Netanyahu has promised NOT to dismantle any settlements, whilst Bennett calls for the annexation of large parts of the West Bank.
Whoever wins on Tuesday, the outcome is unlikely to make pleasant viewing for Palestinians.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Police to investigate Cincinnati Zoo gorilla shooting
The world’s longest train tunnel inaugurated
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says
- 07:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 07:02 CET Trepidation lingers as Canada wildfire evacuees begin to return
- 06:25 CET Exclusive: U.S.-backed Syria forces launch offensive for Manbij…
- 06:20 CET China says first stealth fighter not yet in service, but coming…
- 05:40 CET In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his…
- 05:27 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…