Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu looks on course for a third successive term in office. But it’s tight.
Polls show declining support for the incumbent and a prediction of only 63 seats out of 120 for his Likud party and coalition partner Beitenu – the narrowest of margins for victory.
This would leave him wide open to the whims of prospective coalition partners from other quarters.
Naftali Bennett is one such prospect. Israel’s new rock star politician has burst onto the scene and gained a surge of support, threatening to derail Netanyahu’s plans.
Bennett’s fervently right-wing Jewish Home Party is determined to block a Palestinian state.
But some decry the lack of any real alternatives to Netanyahu or Bennett.
Disaffected Palestinians and Israelis have banded together to form a Facebook campaign pressing for a new way to make themselves heard.
Shimri Zameret is the founder of “Real Democracy”. He told euronews:
“This is a project of Israelis and Palestinians who protest the lack of real democracy in Israel and in the U.N. system. The idea is that Israelis give their votes to Palestinians, essentially letting the Palestinian decide what they do on election day to protest the lack of democracy.”
A peace deal with Palestine rests on all Jewish settlements being removed from the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Netanyahu has promised NOT to dismantle any settlements, whilst Bennett calls for the annexation of large parts of the West Bank.
Whoever wins on Tuesday, the outcome is unlikely to make pleasant viewing for Palestinians.
- 1All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 2Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 3Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 4COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
- 5Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 05:28 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’: reports
- 03:22 CET Lie detectors, solitary: How South Korea screens refugees
- 03:11 CET Japan’s tiny refugee community urges Tokyo to open doors wider
- 01:06 CET EU hopes for Turkish help to slow migrants at summit
- 22:12 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 22:00 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 21:21 CET Putin, citing national security, signs Turkey sanctions decree
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group