Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu looks on course for a third successive term in office. But it’s tight.
Polls show declining support for the incumbent and a prediction of only 63 seats out of 120 for his Likud party and coalition partner Beitenu – the narrowest of margins for victory.
This would leave him wide open to the whims of prospective coalition partners from other quarters.
Naftali Bennett is one such prospect. Israel’s new rock star politician has burst onto the scene and gained a surge of support, threatening to derail Netanyahu’s plans.
Bennett’s fervently right-wing Jewish Home Party is determined to block a Palestinian state.
But some decry the lack of any real alternatives to Netanyahu or Bennett.
Disaffected Palestinians and Israelis have banded together to form a Facebook campaign pressing for a new way to make themselves heard.
Shimri Zameret is the founder of “Real Democracy”. He told euronews:
“This is a project of Israelis and Palestinians who protest the lack of real democracy in Israel and in the U.N. system. The idea is that Israelis give their votes to Palestinians, essentially letting the Palestinian decide what they do on election day to protest the lack of democracy.”
A peace deal with Palestine rests on all Jewish settlements being removed from the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Netanyahu has promised NOT to dismantle any settlements, whilst Bennett calls for the annexation of large parts of the West Bank.
Whoever wins on Tuesday, the outcome is unlikely to make pleasant viewing for Palestinians.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 4Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 5Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
“Hail Caesar” brings Roman holiday mood to Berlin Film Festival opening
Egypt awaits its revolution five years after Mubarak
Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
Slovenian researchers find brain link for Zika virus
Wires > News
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 05:29 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:12 CET Venezuela top court grants Maduro economic emergency powers…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 03:15 CET Oregon standoff ends after 41 days with dramatic surrender
- 02:26 CET Saudi warns U.N., aid workers to leave rebel-held areas in Yemen
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State