The French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has said the goal of France’s military action in Mali is to retake the entire country.
Mali, a former French colony, is battling an Islamist insurgency that has seized control of the north.
The French army has taken control of the airport in the central town of Sevare and brought in reinforcements.
As they await the arrival of more West African military support, French and Malian troops are gathered in the central town of Niono.
Euronews correspondent François Chignac reports from there:
“We are on a night patrol north of Niono with a special unit guiding the French aircraft carrying out strikes. The French launched air strikes a week ago. They have carried out more yesterday and today, and tomorrow will bring more.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:20 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 04:12 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- 03:23 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 01:20 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98