21/01/13 01:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has said the goal of France’s military action in Mali is to retake the entire country.
Mali, a former French colony, is battling an Islamist insurgency that has seized control of the north.
The French army has taken control of the airport in the central town of Sevare and brought in reinforcements.
As they await the arrival of more West African military support, French and Malian troops are gathered in the central town of Niono.
Euronews correspondent François Chignac reports from there:
“We are on a night patrol north of Niono with a special unit guiding the French aircraft carrying out strikes. The French launched air strikes a week ago. They have carried out more yesterday and today, and tomorrow will bring more.”
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:53 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, UN agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army