Viktoria Rebensburg – the 2010 giant slalom Olympic champion – defied the challenging weather conditions to win a world cup Super G race in the Italian resort of Cortina d’Ampezzo.
It was her second win in the discipline after the World Cup finals in Schladming last year and tenth career world cup victory.
The 26-year-old German beat the driving snow and fog to clock a winning time of one minute and 16.45 seconds.
Austrian Nicole Schmidhofer boosted her chances of a national selection for next month’s world championships on home snow in Schladming. Schmidhofer was second for her first career podium finish – 0.33 seconds behind.
As Schmidhofer celebrated her first ever podium – Tina Maze celebrated her 15th of the season.
The Slovenian was one hundredths of a second behind in third to stretch her overall world cup lead to a now almost uncatchable 718 points with 14 races left on the women’s calendar.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 08:30 CET Dynasty beckons for triumphant Australia
- 06:52 CET Power reigns supreme at 11th World Cup
- 05:54 CET Brazil sink feisty Chile to continue winning run
- 01:10 CET Love to have toe surgery, misses Clarke catch-up
- 00:54 CET Coentrao strike seals Portugal win over Serbia
- 00:14 CET Greece stay bottom after goalless draw on Markarian debut
- 23:15 CET Late Long strike denies Poland victory in Ireland
- 23:05 CET Scotland smash Gibraltar, but a new ‘Rock star’ emerges