Viktoria Rebensburg – the 2010 giant slalom Olympic champion – defied the challenging weather conditions to win a world cup Super G race in the Italian resort of Cortina d’Ampezzo.
It was her second win in the discipline after the World Cup finals in Schladming last year and tenth career world cup victory.
The 26-year-old German beat the driving snow and fog to clock a winning time of one minute and 16.45 seconds.
Austrian Nicole Schmidhofer boosted her chances of a national selection for next month’s world championships on home snow in Schladming. Schmidhofer was second for her first career podium finish – 0.33 seconds behind.
As Schmidhofer celebrated her first ever podium – Tina Maze celebrated her 15th of the season.
The Slovenian was one hundredths of a second behind in third to stretch her overall world cup lead to a now almost uncatchable 718 points with 14 races left on the women’s calendar.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 20Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
Euro 2016: Germany beat Poland to go top of Group D
Vuelta: Oliveira solos to stage 13 victory
Iceland beat the Netherlands to close in on first major tournament appearance
Judge overturns Brady’s four-game ‘deflategate’ suspension
Iceland deal major blow to the Netherlands’ Euro 2016 bid
Wires > Sport
- 16:06 CET British crew member dies in round the world race
- 12:47 CET Hamilton fastest in final practice
- 12:06 CET Hamilton stunned by how far McLaren have fallen
- 09:00 CET Messi and Aguero strike braces as Argentina thump Bolivia
- 08:43 CET Nadal falls in marathon U.S. Open match to Fognini
- 07:26 CET Eagles match no World Cup audition for Wallabies hopefuls
- 04:41 CET Canada looking to break 2015 win drought
- 04:39 CET Italy old boys under pressure to perform