Viktoria Rebensburg – the 2010 giant slalom Olympic champion – defied the challenging weather conditions to win a world cup Super G race in the Italian resort of Cortina d’Ampezzo.
It was her second win in the discipline after the World Cup finals in Schladming last year and tenth career world cup victory.
The 26-year-old German beat the driving snow and fog to clock a winning time of one minute and 16.45 seconds.
Austrian Nicole Schmidhofer boosted her chances of a national selection for next month’s world championships on home snow in Schladming. Schmidhofer was second for her first career podium finish – 0.33 seconds behind.
As Schmidhofer celebrated her first ever podium – Tina Maze celebrated her 15th of the season.
The Slovenian was one hundredths of a second behind in third to stretch her overall world cup lead to a now almost uncatchable 718 points with 14 races left on the women’s calendar.
- 1[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
- 2Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
- 3Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
- 4Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
- 5Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 4European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 5The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Wires > Sport
- 23:44 CET Real Madrid win Champions League in penalty shootout
- 23:24 CET NBA player Bryce Dejean-Jones killed in Dallas shooting
- 22:44 CET Murray aware of Nadal injury during practice
- 20:47 CET Diame fires Hull straight back to the Premier League
- 20:25 CET South Africa name new-look squad for Ireland tests
- 19:47 CET Verstappen hits a learning curve in Monaco
- 19:20 CET Messi’s pain eases, recovery time unclear – Argentina doctor
- 19:01 CET Misfortune is now the norm, says glum Hamilton