Thousands of anti-racism protesters have rallied in the streets of the Greek capital.
The march follows the stabbing of 27-year old Pakistani Shehzad Luqman, killed as he rode his bicycle to work in an Athens suburb on Wednesday.
Racist attacks are on the rise as Greece struggles through its worst economic downturn in six decades.
Pakistani community leader Javied Aslam has called for lawmakers to take action:
“The government must take measures and demonstrate that, yes, there are laws and we do not live in the jungle, that laws exist and that people can be punished.”
Earlier, a group gathered around Luqman’s coffin to pay their respects.
Two Greek men have been charged with his murder.
One of them has been linked to Golden Dawn, a party that seeks to rid Greece of immigrant workers.
The United Nations warns that racism has reached alarming levels during the financial crisis, which has left more than a quarter of the Greek labour force out of work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:54 CET Bangladesh ex-ruling party leader gets death for war crimes
- 09:39 CET Three more Ukrainian soldiers killed – Kiev military
- 09:31 CET Italy’s Renzi wins regional polls, low turnout sends warning
- 08:56 CET Philippines fines Chinese fishermen $102,000 each for poaching
- 06:56 CET China to force bosses at central government-run firms to reveal…
- 05:37 CET Senior court official says China to continue death penalty reform
- 05:28 CET Multi-national crew reaches space station
- 05:26 CET U.S. Army base in Texas lifts lockdown after suspicious vehicle…