Thousands of anti-racism protesters have rallied in the streets of the Greek capital.
The march follows the stabbing of 27-year old Pakistani Shehzad Luqman, killed as he rode his bicycle to work in an Athens suburb on Wednesday.
Racist attacks are on the rise as Greece struggles through its worst economic downturn in six decades.
Pakistani community leader Javied Aslam has called for lawmakers to take action:
“The government must take measures and demonstrate that, yes, there are laws and we do not live in the jungle, that laws exist and that people can be punished.”
Earlier, a group gathered around Luqman’s coffin to pay their respects.
Two Greek men have been charged with his murder.
One of them has been linked to Golden Dawn, a party that seeks to rid Greece of immigrant workers.
The United Nations warns that racism has reached alarming levels during the financial crisis, which has left more than a quarter of the Greek labour force out of work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 00:57 CET Chilean president’s landmark education reform passes first hurdle
- 00:07 CET Insight – In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local…
- 23:51 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 23:17 CET Rival Libyan PM meets Turkish envoy in first known meeting with…
- 21:40 CET Canada police say they were tracking man who killed a soldier
- 20:49 CET Egypt sentences to death seven suspected members of Ansar Bayt…
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament