Thousands of anti-racism protesters have rallied in the streets of the Greek capital.
The march follows the stabbing of 27-year old Pakistani Shehzad Luqman, killed as he rode his bicycle to work in an Athens suburb on Wednesday.
Racist attacks are on the rise as Greece struggles through its worst economic downturn in six decades.
Pakistani community leader Javied Aslam has called for lawmakers to take action:
“The government must take measures and demonstrate that, yes, there are laws and we do not live in the jungle, that laws exist and that people can be punished.”
Earlier, a group gathered around Luqman’s coffin to pay their respects.
Two Greek men have been charged with his murder.
One of them has been linked to Golden Dawn, a party that seeks to rid Greece of immigrant workers.
The United Nations warns that racism has reached alarming levels during the financial crisis, which has left more than a quarter of the Greek labour force out of work.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Choose co-operation or confrontation, not a bit of both, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 3Anti-immigrant violence in South Africa sparks concern across borders
- 4Russia and Ukraine at loggerheads after Buzyna and Kalashnykov murders
- 5IMF’s Lagarde stresses rigour for economic salvation, rules out fast fix
- 1Helicopter makes unauthorised landing in US Capitol grounds
- 2Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’
- 3ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech
- 4ISIL militants launch counter offensive in Iraq after recent losses
- 5Italy calls for a Europe-wide response to the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean
- 1ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech
- 2Britain’s RAF scrambles jets as Russian bombers near UK airspace
- 3Helicopter makes unauthorised landing in US Capitol grounds
- 4Orthodox Easter takes on additional meaning for debt-ridden Greece
- 5Four US Blackwater guards are jailed for the deaths of 14 Iraqi civilians
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 11ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:28 CET Teenagers planned Australian terror attack for ANZAC centenary -…
- 02:31 CET Trillions of dollars needed for new bid to end poverty by 2030
- 23:33 CET Car bomb kills three outside U.S. consulate in Iraq’s Kurdish…
- 22:03 CET Two Russian opposition parties unite after Nemtsov killing
- 21:07 CET Boko Haram slit throats of 12 as army tries to save civilians -…
- 20:59 CET U.S. charges four companies, five people over alleged tech exports…
- 20:37 CET Burundi police teargas protesters opposing presidential third term
- 20:20 CET Israeli military networks breached by hackers – researchers