Thousands of anti-racism protesters have rallied in the streets of the Greek capital.
The march follows the stabbing of 27-year old Pakistani Shehzad Luqman, killed as he rode his bicycle to work in an Athens suburb on Wednesday.
Racist attacks are on the rise as Greece struggles through its worst economic downturn in six decades.
Pakistani community leader Javied Aslam has called for lawmakers to take action:
“The government must take measures and demonstrate that, yes, there are laws and we do not live in the jungle, that laws exist and that people can be punished.”
Earlier, a group gathered around Luqman’s coffin to pay their respects.
Two Greek men have been charged with his murder.
One of them has been linked to Golden Dawn, a party that seeks to rid Greece of immigrant workers.
The United Nations warns that racism has reached alarming levels during the financial crisis, which has left more than a quarter of the Greek labour force out of work.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Canadian ordered out of Nepal after criticising government on…
- 15:49 CET Fatal helicopter crash off Norway due technical error -…
- 15:43 CET Rebel rockets kill 19 in Aleppo, hit hospital – monitor
- 15:43 CET German comedian says Merkel ‘served me up for tea’ to Turkey
- 15:31 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 15:11 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 15:01 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 14:57 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in Iraq