Rallies have been held across America to defend the right to own firearms in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre.
The protests come after New York state, which already has among the strictest gun laws in the US, widened its ban on assault weapons last week.
Across the country, there has been a fierce response by pro-gun activists towards plans that would reintroduce a nationwide ban.
Tom Mabelitini, who joined a protest in Medina, Ohio said: “You can tell the left-wing liberal idiots there in Washington and all of them, leave our guns alone, we are not hurting anything. It is the criminals, deal with the criminals”.
US President Barack Obama has also called for ban on high-capacity magazines – which dramatically increase a weapons firing power – and more stringent background checks on anyone who buys a gun.
But pro-gun activist Craig Bevil, from Texas, is adamant that the second amendment right to bear arms should be upheld.
“We had the unfortunate thing that happened in Newtown. We had the horrible thing that happened in Aurora, and instead of coming up with logical solutions, you know, mental health, criminal background checks, making them a little more strict or more enforceable maybe, instead he’s (President Obama) using it as a way to make a gun grab.”
The mass shooting at a primary school in Connecticut in December, which killed 20 children and six adults, was the deadliest in a string of US shooting rampages last year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Syrian fighter jet shot down by Israel over the Golan Heights
- 3Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 4US carries out airstrikes on Syrian targets overnight
- 5Lisbon is hit by serious flooding
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:04 CET Bin Laden son-in-law sentenced to life in U.S. prison
- 18:02 CET Ebola cases could reach 550,000 to 1.4 million by late January -…
- 17:55 CET Putin warns Ukraine against implementing EU deal – letter
- 17:51 CET Ghani ‘seen moving quickly to sign pact on foreign forces’ in…
- 17:49 CET French jihadis linked to 2012 Toulouse gunman arrested after…
- 17:31 CET German journalist freed in Somalia after two and a half years
- 17:28 CET Afghanistan’s Karzai criticises US, Pakistan in farewell speech
- 17:27 CET U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on fighters in Syria