Rallies have been held across America to defend the right to own firearms in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre.
The protests come after New York state, which already has among the strictest gun laws in the US, widened its ban on assault weapons last week.
Across the country, there has been a fierce response by pro-gun activists towards plans that would reintroduce a nationwide ban.
Tom Mabelitini, who joined a protest in Medina, Ohio said: “You can tell the left-wing liberal idiots there in Washington and all of them, leave our guns alone, we are not hurting anything. It is the criminals, deal with the criminals”.
US President Barack Obama has also called for ban on high-capacity magazines – which dramatically increase a weapons firing power – and more stringent background checks on anyone who buys a gun.
But pro-gun activist Craig Bevil, from Texas, is adamant that the second amendment right to bear arms should be upheld.
“We had the unfortunate thing that happened in Newtown. We had the horrible thing that happened in Aurora, and instead of coming up with logical solutions, you know, mental health, criminal background checks, making them a little more strict or more enforceable maybe, instead he’s (President Obama) using it as a way to make a gun grab.”
The mass shooting at a primary school in Connecticut in December, which killed 20 children and six adults, was the deadliest in a string of US shooting rampages last year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5[In pictures] Pre-revolutionary Russia as you may never have seen it before
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Syrian army recaptures town in western Syria – state TV
- 15:15 CET Security tight in Canada as police probe Parliament gunman’s ties
- 15:13 CET Zambia celebrates 50th anniversary of independence, without Sata
- 15:08 CET Italy strikes against Renzi labour reforms, cuts
- 14:59 CET Explosion heard near army base in Egypt’s Sinai – witnesses
- 14:57 CET South Africa police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 14:46 CET Brazil poll shows Neves leading election, at odds with major…
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says Cold War ‘victors’ want to reshape world