Rallies have been held across America to defend the right to own firearms in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre.
The protests come after New York state, which already has among the strictest gun laws in the US, widened its ban on assault weapons last week.
Across the country, there has been a fierce response by pro-gun activists towards plans that would reintroduce a nationwide ban.
Tom Mabelitini, who joined a protest in Medina, Ohio said: “You can tell the left-wing liberal idiots there in Washington and all of them, leave our guns alone, we are not hurting anything. It is the criminals, deal with the criminals”.
US President Barack Obama has also called for ban on high-capacity magazines – which dramatically increase a weapons firing power – and more stringent background checks on anyone who buys a gun.
But pro-gun activist Craig Bevil, from Texas, is adamant that the second amendment right to bear arms should be upheld.
“We had the unfortunate thing that happened in Newtown. We had the horrible thing that happened in Aurora, and instead of coming up with logical solutions, you know, mental health, criminal background checks, making them a little more strict or more enforceable maybe, instead he’s (President Obama) using it as a way to make a gun grab.”
The mass shooting at a primary school in Connecticut in December, which killed 20 children and six adults, was the deadliest in a string of US shooting rampages last year.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 5Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Nuclear energy off the table at climate change talks
Britain’s parliament debates Cameron’s call to air war in Syria
Kremlin gets tough on Turkish food imports
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 16:04 CET Belgian police mount search linked to Paris attacks
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque
- 15:45 CET ‘Putin is not forever’, says daughter of slain opposition leader
- 15:43 CET Paris airport traffic down after attacks, security tighter
- 15:39 CET WHO records highest-ever number of new HIV cases in its European…