As President Barack Obama prepares to be sworn in for a second term on Monday, he found time to help spruce up a Washington elementary school as part of a day of service to promote volunteer work.
Obama then made a speech encouraging young people to get involved helping their communities.
Across the United States, people took part in service projects on Saturday, which is also a national holiday in honour of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
First Lady Michelle Obama hosted the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, a star-studded event that honours American military families.
The pop extravaganza was headlined by Katy Perry, dressed in stars and stripes for the occasion.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
Wires > News
- 15:52 CET Egypt court defers parliamentary election – judicial sources
- 15:43 CET Influential Mozambican lawyer Cistac gunned down in taxi
- 15:38 CET UK intelligence asked Tanzania to stop ‘Jihadi John’ in 2009 -…
- 15:32 CET Afghanistan must prosecute government officials who violate rights…
- 15:22 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to address Congress in speech that has strained…
- 15:13 CET Thousands evacuated after volcano erupts in southern Chile
- 15:00 CET Citing Russia and IS threat, Kosovo urges faster EU expansion
- 14:41 CET North Korea has power to deter U.S. ‘nuclear threat’ – foreign…