As President Barack Obama prepares to be sworn in for a second term on Monday, he found time to help spruce up a Washington elementary school as part of a day of service to promote volunteer work.
Obama then made a speech encouraging young people to get involved helping their communities.
Across the United States, people took part in service projects on Saturday, which is also a national holiday in honour of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
First Lady Michelle Obama hosted the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, a star-studded event that honours American military families.
The pop extravaganza was headlined by Katy Perry, dressed in stars and stripes for the occasion.
- 1Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 2Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 3At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 4Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 5Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 12:47 CET Greece reiterates it has responsibility to make debt payments
- 12:33 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after opening fire on colleagues…
- 12:27 CET Polish opposition cheers presidential vote win, markets uneasy
- 12:23 CET U.N. urges Lebanon to pick president, end political vacuum
- 12:05 CET About 100 U.S., European jets join Arctic exercise near Russia
- 12:01 CET Taliban truck bomb hits government offices in southern…
- 11:47 CET Indonesian minister fears govt sabotage in contaminated rice scare
- 10:38 CET Heavy fighting in Yemen’s south, aide says talks postponed