As President Barack Obama prepares to be sworn in for a second term on Monday, he found time to help spruce up a Washington elementary school as part of a day of service to promote volunteer work.
Obama then made a speech encouraging young people to get involved helping their communities.
Across the United States, people took part in service projects on Saturday, which is also a national holiday in honour of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
First Lady Michelle Obama hosted the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, a star-studded event that honours American military families.
The pop extravaganza was headlined by Katy Perry, dressed in stars and stripes for the occasion.
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Peru’s Fujimori would hike corporate taxes, widen fiscal gap…
- 04:08 CET EU hate speech deal shows mounting pressures over internet content…
- 04:02 CET Airbus says EgyptAir strengthens case for ejectable ‘black boxes’
- 03:19 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 02:27 CET Four dead in collapse at South Korea subway construction site
- 02:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 01:32 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…
- 01:18 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media