As President Barack Obama prepares to be sworn in for a second term on Monday, he found time to help spruce up a Washington elementary school as part of a day of service to promote volunteer work.
Obama then made a speech encouraging young people to get involved helping their communities.
Across the United States, people took part in service projects on Saturday, which is also a national holiday in honour of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
First Lady Michelle Obama hosted the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, a star-studded event that honours American military families.
The pop extravaganza was headlined by Katy Perry, dressed in stars and stripes for the occasion.
Wires > News
- 07:34 CET China, Russia urge U.S. to drop Korea missile defence proposal
- 06:33 CET Iran holds run-off parliamentary election – state TV
- 06:15 CET Shanghai Hongqiao airport fire put out, two dead – state TV
- 06:07 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 05:54 CET Japan’s corpse hotels upset some of the neighbours
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial