Germany’s governing centre-right coalition is looking to reverse a series of 12 poor state election results which has seen them lose power in four of them to the SPD and Greens.
On Sunday Lower Saxony is up for grabs, and the CDU is being led into battle by a Scot, David McAllister, the incumbent, who like his chancellor Angela Merkel is proving more popular than his CDU party.
The race is predicted to be tight between him and the SPD’s Stephan Weil, although his chances have been hurt by his leader.
The SPD’s Peer Steinbrueck has made a series of gaffes since being chosen to lead. If the SPD should fail to win here, he may get much of the blame. A loss might even spur the SPD to replace him before September’s General Election.
McAllister has had high-powered help, with Merkel visiting him seven times during his campaign to add her lustre to his push. But both will be hoping the vote for their coalition partners the FDP holds up. If it collapses, then the CDU can say goodbye to retaining power in September.
Former German first lady Doris Schröder is bidding to enter the regional assembly. If she makes it from her lowly position on the list, the the FDP is history in Lower Saxony.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:44 CET U.N. Secretary General troubled by Iraq abuse claims, refugees
- 17:28 CET Niger, Chad forces attack Boko Haram positions on Lake Chad -…
- 16:59 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverts to Morocco after bomb scare
- 16:51 CET Syrian military source alleges Turkish role in Idlib offensive
- 16:37 CET France’s Valls cancels ECB visit for post-election Socialist talks
- 16:31 CET Crash pilot previously had suicidal tendencies – German prosecutors
- 16:12 CET War crimes court revokes Serb nationalist Seselj’s compassionate…
- 16:08 CET Western Libya rocket strike kills one foreigner, wounds eight…