Germany’s governing centre-right coalition is looking to reverse a series of 12 poor state election results which has seen them lose power in four of them to the SPD and Greens.
On Sunday Lower Saxony is up for grabs, and the CDU is being led into battle by a Scot, David McAllister, the incumbent, who like his chancellor Angela Merkel is proving more popular than his CDU party.
The race is predicted to be tight between him and the SPD’s Stephan Weil, although his chances have been hurt by his leader.
The SPD’s Peer Steinbrueck has made a series of gaffes since being chosen to lead. If the SPD should fail to win here, he may get much of the blame. A loss might even spur the SPD to replace him before September’s General Election.
McAllister has had high-powered help, with Merkel visiting him seven times during his campaign to add her lustre to his push. But both will be hoping the vote for their coalition partners the FDP holds up. If it collapses, then the CDU can say goodbye to retaining power in September.
Former German first lady Doris Schröder is bidding to enter the regional assembly. If she makes it from her lowly position on the list, the the FDP is history in Lower Saxony.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 4Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
Pope Francis arrives in Uganda
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
Tour operator threatens to jump from Colosseum in Rome
Wires > News
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?
- 21:53 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 21:51 CET Pope holds private meeting with president of warring South Sudan
- 21:08 CET U.N. chief condemns deadly attack in disputed Abyei region
- 21:06 CET Saudis failed to investigate air strikes on Yemen civilians -…
- 19:58 CET Lebanon PM urges presidential vote after new push to find candidate
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…