Germany’s governing centre-right coalition is looking to reverse a series of 12 poor state election results which has seen them lose power in four of them to the SPD and Greens.
On Sunday Lower Saxony is up for grabs, and the CDU is being led into battle by a Scot, David McAllister, the incumbent, who like his chancellor Angela Merkel is proving more popular than his CDU party.
The race is predicted to be tight between him and the SPD’s Stephan Weil, although his chances have been hurt by his leader.
The SPD’s Peer Steinbrueck has made a series of gaffes since being chosen to lead. If the SPD should fail to win here, he may get much of the blame. A loss might even spur the SPD to replace him before September’s General Election.
McAllister has had high-powered help, with Merkel visiting him seven times during his campaign to add her lustre to his push. But both will be hoping the vote for their coalition partners the FDP holds up. If it collapses, then the CDU can say goodbye to retaining power in September.
Former German first lady Doris Schröder is bidding to enter the regional assembly. If she makes it from her lowly position on the list, the the FDP is history in Lower Saxony.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 00:13 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 00:10 CET Australia transport safety chief says beach debris not from MH370…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…