Germany’s governing centre-right coalition is looking to reverse a series of 12 poor state election results which has seen them lose power in four of them to the SPD and Greens.
On Sunday Lower Saxony is up for grabs, and the CDU is being led into battle by a Scot, David McAllister, the incumbent, who like his chancellor Angela Merkel is proving more popular than his CDU party.
The race is predicted to be tight between him and the SPD’s Stephan Weil, although his chances have been hurt by his leader.
The SPD’s Peer Steinbrueck has made a series of gaffes since being chosen to lead. If the SPD should fail to win here, he may get much of the blame. A loss might even spur the SPD to replace him before September’s General Election.
McAllister has had high-powered help, with Merkel visiting him seven times during his campaign to add her lustre to his push. But both will be hoping the vote for their coalition partners the FDP holds up. If it collapses, then the CDU can say goodbye to retaining power in September.
Former German first lady Doris Schröder is bidding to enter the regional assembly. If she makes it from her lowly position on the list, the the FDP is history in Lower Saxony.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1“The Rosetta team” is euronews’ person/people of the year
- 2NASA rover detects methane on Mars
- 3Obama set to sign bill on more Russian sanctions by end of the week
- 4Children targeted in Pakistan’s deadliest militant attack in years; 132 students are killed
- 5US and Cuba announce plan to restore relations after decades of hostility
- 1Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Italian singer-song writer ‘Pino’ dies on stage
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 3What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 4Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 5Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 8Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 15Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 18Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 19Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:46 CET Anger and grief as Pakistan buries students massacred at school
- 22:39 CET Opponent calls for Putin’s exit as Russia slides into crisis
- 22:08 CET Xi’s visit to Macau deals cold deck to VIP gamblers
- 21:53 CET Colombia’s FARC rebels call conditional unlimited ceasefire
- 21:47 CET Iran calls nuclear talks “very useful”; next meeting in Jan
- 21:46 CET Obama announces U.S. to restore diplomatic ties with Cuba
- 21:09 CET Insight – Greek premier prepared European ground before vote gamble
- 20:54 CET Sudan warns South Sudan against ‘hostile moves’ by rebels in its…