Unlike civilians, the Israeli military won’t get a day off for the country’s general election on Tuesday.
So instead soldiers were allowed to vote two days early at a naval base in the town of Ashdod.
Around 60 polling stations have been open over the weekend, just for the army.
Polls suggest the right-wing and religious Likud-Beitenu bloc are likely to win a slim parliamentary majority, set for 63 out of 120 available seats.
That puts Benjamin Netanyahu on course to secure a third term in office as prime minister..
That’s despite support for the government waning when corruption charges were levelled at his former Foreign Minister. Avigdor Lieberman was forced to stepped down last month.
Another ex-Foreign Minister Tzipi Livini who formed the centrist Hatnua party last year has called for a unity government in the light of what she described
an “emergency situation” facing Israel.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’