Unlike civilians, the Israeli military won’t get a day off for the country’s general election on Tuesday.
So instead soldiers were allowed to vote two days early at a naval base in the town of Ashdod.
Around 60 polling stations have been open over the weekend, just for the army.
Polls suggest the right-wing and religious Likud-Beitenu bloc are likely to win a slim parliamentary majority, set for 63 out of 120 available seats.
That puts Benjamin Netanyahu on course to secure a third term in office as prime minister..
That’s despite support for the government waning when corruption charges were levelled at his former Foreign Minister. Avigdor Lieberman was forced to stepped down last month.
Another ex-Foreign Minister Tzipi Livini who formed the centrist Hatnua party last year has called for a unity government in the light of what she described
an “emergency situation” facing Israel.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Media respect called into question over Germanwings coverage
- 4Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 5Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Wires > News
- 01:13 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 01:08 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 23:43 CET Saudi blogger Badawi views survival of 50 lashes as miracle -…
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court