German Chancellor Angela Merkel is hoping for a victory for her CDU party in Lower Saxony.
She has been in the region to show her support for David McAllister, who is in a tight race to retain his position at the head of the local government.
McAllister is being challenged by Stephan Weil of the Social Democrat Party (SPD) in the first of a series of local elections in Germany.
The regional votes come ahead of a general election in September, in which Merkel will face off with challenger Peer Steinbrück.
Former German Chancellor Gerhard has been getting involved in Lower Saxony as well, campaigning for Weil.
While his wife has stepped into the election herself.
Polls show Doris Schröder-Köpf has a good chance of winning a seat on the regional government.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 3TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 4South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 5Funeral for teacher hailed a hero in South Korea ferry tragedy
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 4Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 5South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
Wires > News
- 02:06 CET Japan PM sends offering to Yasukuni Shrine – Japanese media
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…
- 21:55 CET Al Qaeda kills 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- 21:12 CET Boston Marathon looks to emerge from shadow of 2013 bombing
- 20:34 CET Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare
- 20:04 CET Technical problems delay reopening of Libya’s Zueitina oil port -…
- 17:52 CET Abdullah widens lead in Afghan presidential vote – latest count