German Chancellor Angela Merkel is hoping for a victory for her CDU party in Lower Saxony.
She has been in the region to show her support for David McAllister, who is in a tight race to retain his position at the head of the local government.
McAllister is being challenged by Stephan Weil of the Social Democrat Party (SPD) in the first of a series of local elections in Germany.
The regional votes come ahead of a general election in September, in which Merkel will face off with challenger Peer Steinbrück.
Former German Chancellor Gerhard has been getting involved in Lower Saxony as well, campaigning for Weil.
While his wife has stepped into the election herself.
Polls show Doris Schröder-Köpf has a good chance of winning a seat on the regional government.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 5Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 20:23 CET Red Cross worker killed in Central African Republic
- 20:04 CET Malaysian plane still missing; questions over false IDs
- 19:16 CET Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body
- 19:03 CET Syria government forces take village near Lebanese border
- 18:30 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 17:46 CET Al Qaeda-linked militants in Lebanon apologise for civilian deaths
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory