German Chancellor Angela Merkel is hoping for a victory for her CDU party in Lower Saxony.
She has been in the region to show her support for David McAllister, who is in a tight race to retain his position at the head of the local government.
McAllister is being challenged by Stephan Weil of the Social Democrat Party (SPD) in the first of a series of local elections in Germany.
The regional votes come ahead of a general election in September, in which Merkel will face off with challenger Peer Steinbrück.
Former German Chancellor Gerhard has been getting involved in Lower Saxony as well, campaigning for Weil.
While his wife has stepped into the election herself.
Polls show Doris Schröder-Köpf has a good chance of winning a seat on the regional government.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Thousands of Kosovars mourn Albanian militants killed in Macedonia
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…
- 22:58 CET Rocket fired from Gaza lands near Israeli port Ashdod – police
- 21:44 CET Italian mafia boss arrested in Brazil after 30 years on the run
- 21:09 CET Libya’s premier Thinni says he survived assassination attempt