Frenchman Cyril Despres won his fifth Dakar Rally title in the bike category on Saturday.
The KTM rider took a sizeable lead into the 14th and final stage to Santiago in Chile and despite a 17th place finish it was enough to hold off his principle rivals and claim his first back-to-back win and his third victory in South America after triumphs in 2010 and last year.
He has also won the gruelling race twice in Africa.
KTM owned the final podium with Portuguese rider Ruben Faria finishing second overall ahead of Chile’s Francisco Lopez.
Stephane Peterhansel made it a French double after the Dakar veteran steered his Mini to overall victory in the car category to also defend his title.
The win extended Peterhansel’s record to 11 crowns – six times in the car class and five times on the bike.
A tenth place finish in the final stage was good enough for top honours ahead of South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers and Leonid Novistkiy of Russia who rounded off the overall podium.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 18:28 CET Gudjohnsen’s comeback goal helps Iceland go joint top
- 16:28 CET Italy coach Conte gets death threats, mystery over Marchisio injury
- 16:14 CET Fernandez upsets Hanyu to take gold in Shanghai
- 15:13 CET Vettel looking back to his best with Ferrari
- 14:55 CET Barcelona full back Alba sidelined for 10 days
- 14:53 CET Hamilton holds off Vettel for Malaysia pole
- 14:52 CET Depleted England lose Welbeck for Italy game
- 14:28 CET Alonso sees rapid progress after closing gap