Frenchman Cyril Despres won his fifth Dakar Rally title in the bike category on Saturday.
The KTM rider took a sizeable lead into the 14th and final stage to Santiago in Chile and despite a 17th place finish it was enough to hold off his principle rivals and claim his first back-to-back win and his third victory in South America after triumphs in 2010 and last year.
He has also won the gruelling race twice in Africa.
KTM owned the final podium with Portuguese rider Ruben Faria finishing second overall ahead of Chile’s Francisco Lopez.
Stephane Peterhansel made it a French double after the Dakar veteran steered his Mini to overall victory in the car category to also defend his title.
The win extended Peterhansel’s record to 11 crowns – six times in the car class and five times on the bike.
A tenth place finish in the final stage was good enough for top honours ahead of South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers and Leonid Novistkiy of Russia who rounded off the overall podium.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:03 CET Victory sends Marseille marching four points clear
- 21:41 CET Liverpool’s Rodgers joint favourite for the sack
- 20:36 CET I don’t care about FIFA awards, says Mourinho
- 20:02 CET Bayern turnover tops half a billion euros
- 19:27 CET Rugby – Twickenham bans fans for homophobic abuse of referee
- 18:55 CET Sainz joins Verstappen at Toro Rosso
- 17:31 CET Domestic abuse linked to football match days – Scottish study
- 17:26 CET Galatasaray fire Prandelli as coach