Frenchman Cyril Despres won his fifth Dakar Rally title in the bike category on Saturday.
The KTM rider took a sizeable lead into the 14th and final stage to Santiago in Chile and despite a 17th place finish it was enough to hold off his principle rivals and claim his first back-to-back win and his third victory in South America after triumphs in 2010 and last year.
He has also won the gruelling race twice in Africa.
KTM owned the final podium with Portuguese rider Ruben Faria finishing second overall ahead of Chile’s Francisco Lopez.
Stephane Peterhansel made it a French double after the Dakar veteran steered his Mini to overall victory in the car category to also defend his title.
The win extended Peterhansel’s record to 11 crowns – six times in the car class and five times on the bike.
A tenth place finish in the final stage was good enough for top honours ahead of South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers and Leonid Novistkiy of Russia who rounded off the overall podium.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 01:30 CET Ronaldo calls on CBF president to resign
- 00:13 CET United draw leaves Champions League hopes in balance
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win