Frenchman Cyril Despres won his fifth Dakar Rally title in the bike category on Saturday.
The KTM rider took a sizeable lead into the 14th and final stage to Santiago in Chile and despite a 17th place finish it was enough to hold off his principle rivals and claim his first back-to-back win and his third victory in South America after triumphs in 2010 and last year.
He has also won the gruelling race twice in Africa.
KTM owned the final podium with Portuguese rider Ruben Faria finishing second overall ahead of Chile’s Francisco Lopez.
Stephane Peterhansel made it a French double after the Dakar veteran steered his Mini to overall victory in the car category to also defend his title.
The win extended Peterhansel’s record to 11 crowns – six times in the car class and five times on the bike.
A tenth place finish in the final stage was good enough for top honours ahead of South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers and Leonid Novistkiy of Russia who rounded off the overall podium.
- 1Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Wires > Sport
- 00:34 CET Shevchenko to join Ukraine coaching staff – report
- 22:09 CET Murray rises above the din as tempers fray
- 22:07 CET Bayern see slight dip in 2014/15 turnover, profits up
- 22:04 CET Ukraine get one-game stadium ban from UEFA for racism
- 21:58 CET We owe Beckenbauer a ‘hell of a lot’ – Bayern president
- 21:45 CET England win by three runs, claim T20 series v Pakistan
- 20:05 CET Barros Schelotto quits Lanus, joins departing Argentine coaches
- 19:25 CET Brazil’s Andrade Gutierrez to admit World Cup bribes – Folha paper