Frenchman Cyril Despres won his fifth Dakar Rally title in the bike category on Saturday.
The KTM rider took a sizeable lead into the 14th and final stage to Santiago in Chile and despite a 17th place finish it was enough to hold off his principle rivals and claim his first back-to-back win and his third victory in South America after triumphs in 2010 and last year.
He has also won the gruelling race twice in Africa.
KTM owned the final podium with Portuguese rider Ruben Faria finishing second overall ahead of Chile’s Francisco Lopez.
Stephane Peterhansel made it a French double after the Dakar veteran steered his Mini to overall victory in the car category to also defend his title.
The win extended Peterhansel’s record to 11 crowns – six times in the car class and five times on the bike.
A tenth place finish in the final stage was good enough for top honours ahead of South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers and Leonid Novistkiy of Russia who rounded off the overall podium.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Euro 2016: Germany beat Poland to go top of Group D
Vuelta: Oliveira solos to stage 13 victory
Iceland beat the Netherlands to close in on first major tournament appearance
Judge overturns Brady’s four-game ‘deflategate’ suspension
Iceland deal major blow to the Netherlands’ Euro 2016 bid
Wires > Sport
- 12:06 CET Hamilton stunned by how far McLaren have fallen
- 09:00 CET Messi and Aguero strike braces as Argentina thump Bolivia
- 08:43 CET Nadal falls in marathon U.S. Open match to Fognini
- 07:26 CET Eagles match no World Cup audition for Wallabies hopefuls
- 04:41 CET Canada looking to break 2015 win drought
- 04:39 CET Italy old boys under pressure to perform
- 04:34 CET Proven World Cup pedigree boosts France
- 04:31 CET Deep-chilled Georgians strive to reach next level