French and Malian forces are now gathering in Niono, south of Diabaly in Mali, where according to reports from fleeing civilians a number of Islamic militants are hiding.
After taking heavy punishment from the air it appears they are now waiting for government and French forces to enter the town so they can spring a trap.
The Islamists advance has been halted, but retaking the vast north of the country will not be easy. Holding recaptured territory will also be difficult until larger numbers of West African troops arrive.
For the moment it is a case of wait and see, with the French appearing especially cautious. They know hearts and minds will be vital in this war, and civilian casualties must be avoided.
“If they ever go on the offensive we are here to stop them. That won’t be a problem. Our French friends are here, and we are working perfectly together, co-ordinating well, so there are no problems,” said the Malien commander, Colonel Sidy Bé.
Everyone seems happy the French are here, but no-one is feeling out of danger yet.
“We have to remain vigilant to counter any attack that might come from anywhere in Mali,” said a Malien Captain.
This is likely to be a confused, fluid war and its beginnings indicate information may change very quickly.
“The goal of this operation is to link up the Malien forces based here in Niono, with the French base in Markala. the first step maybe towards establishing a future common strategy,” says euronews’ reporter François Chignac.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 4Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 5French motorway remains closed after travellers end blockade
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
French motorway remains closed after travellers end blockade
Wires > News
- 19:19 CET European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen…
- 19:11 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media
- 19:10 CET Libya arrests three suspected smugglers over migrant boat disaster
- 17:55 CET Christian group occupies Philippine highway for second night
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…
- 16:03 CET Malaysia’s Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- 15:55 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:53 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory