French and Malian forces are now gathering in Niono, south of Diabaly in Mali, where according to reports from fleeing civilians a number of Islamic militants are hiding.
After taking heavy punishment from the air it appears they are now waiting for government and French forces to enter the town so they can spring a trap.
The Islamists advance has been halted, but retaking the vast north of the country will not be easy. Holding recaptured territory will also be difficult until larger numbers of West African troops arrive.
For the moment it is a case of wait and see, with the French appearing especially cautious. They know hearts and minds will be vital in this war, and civilian casualties must be avoided.
“If they ever go on the offensive we are here to stop them. That won’t be a problem. Our French friends are here, and we are working perfectly together, co-ordinating well, so there are no problems,” said the Malien commander, Colonel Sidy Bé.
Everyone seems happy the French are here, but no-one is feeling out of danger yet.
“We have to remain vigilant to counter any attack that might come from anywhere in Mali,” said a Malien Captain.
This is likely to be a confused, fluid war and its beginnings indicate information may change very quickly.
“The goal of this operation is to link up the Malien forces based here in Niono, with the French base in Markala. the first step maybe towards establishing a future common strategy,” says euronews’ reporter François Chignac.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Wires > News
- 09:17 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France
- 08:51 CET Germany arrrests man who may have sold guns to Paris attackers
- 08:49 CET Ten EU nations say Nord Stream gas extension not in EU interests
- 08:43 CET Kurds should be at Saudi-held Syria opposition meet – leader
- 08:28 CET Thailand ‘highly likely’ to decide to join TPP – deputy prime…
- 08:21 CET Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Bangladesh…
- 07:33 CET Palestinian rams car into Israelis, then shot dead – police
- 07:18 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years