French and Malian forces are now gathering in Niono, south of Diabaly in Mali, where according to reports from fleeing civilians a number of Islamic militants are hiding.
After taking heavy punishment from the air it appears they are now waiting for government and French forces to enter the town so they can spring a trap.
The Islamists advance has been halted, but retaking the vast north of the country will not be easy. Holding recaptured territory will also be difficult until larger numbers of West African troops arrive.
For the moment it is a case of wait and see, with the French appearing especially cautious. They know hearts and minds will be vital in this war, and civilian casualties must be avoided.
“If they ever go on the offensive we are here to stop them. That won’t be a problem. Our French friends are here, and we are working perfectly together, co-ordinating well, so there are no problems,” said the Malien commander, Colonel Sidy Bé.
Everyone seems happy the French are here, but no-one is feeling out of danger yet.
“We have to remain vigilant to counter any attack that might come from anywhere in Mali,” said a Malien Captain.
This is likely to be a confused, fluid war and its beginnings indicate information may change very quickly.
“The goal of this operation is to link up the Malien forces based here in Niono, with the French base in Markala. the first step maybe towards establishing a future common strategy,” says euronews’ reporter François Chignac.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat
- 21:25 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail