Lindsey Vonn is back on form after her self-imposed Christmas break.
She may have struggled a bit on her return last week in St Anton, but the American dominated the Cortina d’Ampezzo for a third time on Saturday.
She had already won at the Italian resort in 2008 and 2010.
The 28-year-old claimed her 58th career world cup win in a time of one minute 38.25 seconds.
This victory adds to to her comfortable lead in the downhill world cup, a title she has won for the last five seasons.
The overall world cup leader Tina Maze finished second 0.43 seconds adrift.
The Slovenian now has a seemingly unbridgeable 670 point lead over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch who failed to complete the course.
Third place went to Vonn’s compatriot Leanne Smith who finished 0.89 seconds off the pace.
Having two Americans on the podium will be a huge confidence booster for the team, as this is the last downhill competition before the Schladming world championships in two weeks’ time.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 22:20 CET Englishman Willett secures Masters berth via world ranking
- 20:49 CET Scott hires new caddie for 2015
- 18:48 CET Condition of Muhammad Ali ‘vastly improved’
- 17:35 CET Leeds defender Bellusci charged by FA in racism row
- 17:16 CET Premier first as Arsenal chalk up five million followers
- 17:12 CET Former Liverpool defender Hyypia quits as Brighton manager
- 15:41 CET Horse racing – Goodwood in lucrative 10-year deal with Qatar
- 15:34 CET FIFA chief Blatter “invigorated” after Marrakech meeting