Ukraine’s state prosecutor has hit jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko with another accusation, and this time it is murder.
Yevhen Shcherban was a member of parliament and businessman, one of Ukraine’s richest men and the power in the Donetsk region when he perished in a hail of bullets leaving his plane in 1996.
Now prosecutor Viktor Pshonka says Tymoshenko, a powerful gas trader at the time, ordered the hit along with former prime minister Pavlo Lazarenko for just over two million euros.
“It was President Viktor Yanukovych who gained more than anyone else politically, as 4 months after the murder he, all of a sudden and most unexpectedly became the Governor of the Donetsk Region,” says Tymoshenko’s lawyer Serhiy Vlasenko.
Yanukovich’s criminal record did not stop him then, and did not stop him becoming president, but now say his critics he is criminalising the opposition on trumped-up political charges, and is seeking to keep Tymoshenko behind bars permanently.
She has been unable to see the charges yet, as on Friday when the documents were delivered to her prison hospital she was too ill to receive them.
Tymoshenko suffers from a debilitating back condition, but her latest visitors have expressed alarm at her condition, saying she is by turns incoherent and confused and in almost constant pain, refusing a bed and sleeping in a chair in the corridor.
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Kerry insists Iran will be under “enormous constraints” under nuclear deal
West Bank: Jewish settlers scuffle with police
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi: Libya’s failed reformer
Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
Submarine:Swedish Navy say wreck is not 2014 mystery sub
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Convicted Israeli spy Pollard to be paroled on Nov. 21
- 19:18 CET Sudan summons EU diplomat over statement on humanitarian needs
- 18:42 CET Gunmen who carried out India’s Punjab attack were Muslim – police
- 18:17 CET Ukrainian military pilot held by Russia has alibi – lawyers
- 17:47 CET Russian submarine wreck off Sweden likely dates from WW1
- 17:36 CET Second-term Obama tells Africa’s ‘Big Men’ to quit when time is up
- 17:27 CET Fire at Egypt furniture factory kills 25 – health ministry
- 17:17 CET Le Pen father gets French court victory over daughter