Christophe Innerhofer received a welcome boost ahead of next month’s world championships by winning the classic Wengen Downhill in Switzerland on Saturday.
The 28-year-old, who was fastest in Friday’s Downhill section of the super combined, tamed the long Lauberhorn course to clock a winning time of two minutes 29.82 seconds.
It was the Italian’s his fifth career world cup victory and third downhill triumph. It was the first time in 16 years an Italian has won the Classic race at the Swiss resort – the last being Kristian Ghedina.
2011 winner Klaus Kroell was second. The Austrian missed out on his seventh world cup victory and first since March of last year by three tenths of a second.
It was his second podium finish of the season after a coming third in Downhill at Lake Louise in November.
Hannes Reichelt made sure of a second Austrian in the top three. The 32-year-old, who won the downhill in Bormio Italy last month, trailed Innerhofer by 0.76.
The men’s world cup stays in Wengen for Sunday’s Slalom race.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 15:57 CET ‘Frisbee’ comes of age, earns Olympic recognition
- 15:54 CET IOC overhauls Olympic bid process to attract more cities
- 15:41 CET Sport rocked by ‘wild’ doping allegations
- 14:23 CET South Sudan becomes Olympic movement’s 206th member
- 14:13 CET FA are ‘amateurs’, says Hull chairman Allam
- 14:05 CET World Rugby expects ‘white-knuckle ride’ with Rio stadium
- 14:03 CET Leach takes hat-trick with first three balls of match
- 11:50 CET Selfies and six packs to derail Arsenal’s title hopes: Keane