Christophe Innerhofer received a welcome boost ahead of next month’s world championships by winning the classic Wengen Downhill in Switzerland on Saturday.
The 28-year-old, who was fastest in Friday’s Downhill section of the super combined, tamed the long Lauberhorn course to clock a winning time of two minutes 29.82 seconds.
It was the Italian’s his fifth career world cup victory and third downhill triumph. It was the first time in 16 years an Italian has won the Classic race at the Swiss resort – the last being Kristian Ghedina.
2011 winner Klaus Kroell was second. The Austrian missed out on his seventh world cup victory and first since March of last year by three tenths of a second.
It was his second podium finish of the season after a coming third in Downhill at Lake Louise in November.
Hannes Reichelt made sure of a second Austrian in the top three. The 32-year-old, who won the downhill in Bormio Italy last month, trailed Innerhofer by 0.76.
The men’s world cup stays in Wengen for Sunday’s Slalom race.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:07 CET Lee gives South Korea edge over Iraq in Asian Cup semi
- 11:05 CET Rain washes out Australia vs India ODI in Sydney
- 10:58 CET Standard Liege fans face sanctions over provocative banner
- 10:00 CET Bayern’s Guardiola in no rush for contract extension
- 08:12 CET Keys opens door to first quarter-final
- 03:03 CET Tunisia on verge of Nations Cup quarters but Zambia in peril
- 00:20 CET Chelsea suffer stunning upset, Barca, Real win again
- 22:57 CET Wasteful Porto suffer shock defeat at Maritimo