Christophe Innerhofer received a welcome boost ahead of next month’s world championships by winning the classic Wengen Downhill in Switzerland on Saturday.
The 28-year-old, who was fastest in Friday’s Downhill section of the super combined, tamed the long Lauberhorn course to clock a winning time of two minutes 29.82 seconds.
It was the Italian’s his fifth career world cup victory and third downhill triumph. It was the first time in 16 years an Italian has won the Classic race at the Swiss resort – the last being Kristian Ghedina.
2011 winner Klaus Kroell was second. The Austrian missed out on his seventh world cup victory and first since March of last year by three tenths of a second.
It was his second podium finish of the season after a coming third in Downhill at Lake Louise in November.
Hannes Reichelt made sure of a second Austrian in the top three. The 32-year-old, who won the downhill in Bormio Italy last month, trailed Innerhofer by 0.76.
The men’s world cup stays in Wengen for Sunday’s Slalom race.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 4International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Femen protest in Kiev against Navalny verdict | euronews, no comment
Wires > Sport
- 10:26 CET Frenchman Levy shoots 63 to go four clear at BMW Masters
- 10:18 CET Teenager Coric is a man on a mission
- 02:00 CET F1 teams play down talk of U.S. GP boycott
- 00:52 CET Nishikori qualifies for ATP World Tour Finals
- 00:13 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes dominate U.S. practice
- 22:32 CET Monaco stall as Reims grab late equaliser
- 22:10 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes dominate U.S. practice
- 21:59 CET Kenya’s Mutai goes for New York hat-trick