Christophe Innerhofer received a welcome boost ahead of next month’s world championships by winning the classic Wengen Downhill in Switzerland on Saturday.
The 28-year-old, who was fastest in Friday’s Downhill section of the super combined, tamed the long Lauberhorn course to clock a winning time of two minutes 29.82 seconds.
It was the Italian’s his fifth career world cup victory and third downhill triumph. It was the first time in 16 years an Italian has won the Classic race at the Swiss resort – the last being Kristian Ghedina.
2011 winner Klaus Kroell was second. The Austrian missed out on his seventh world cup victory and first since March of last year by three tenths of a second.
It was his second podium finish of the season after a coming third in Downhill at Lake Louise in November.
Hannes Reichelt made sure of a second Austrian in the top three. The 32-year-old, who won the downhill in Bormio Italy last month, trailed Innerhofer by 0.76.
The men’s world cup stays in Wengen for Sunday’s Slalom race.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 23:38 CET Federer eases into second round; others toil in heat
- 23:34 CET West Brom’s Berahino angry as dream move joins failed deals
- 23:15 CET Los Angeles named U.S. bid candidate for 2024 Games
- 23:03 CET Cruzeiro appoint former Brazil manager as new coach
- 22:40 CET Ireland take calculated risk with covert scrumhalf Madigan
- 22:02 CET Man City flex muscles as English clubs break spending record
- 21:57 CET Los Angeles named U.S. bid candidate for 2024 Games
- 21:36 CET Real, United blame each other over failed De Gea deal