19/01/13 11:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Francisco Lopez won the penultimate stage of this year’s Dakar Rally – a 735 kilometre ride between Copiapo and La Serena in his native Chile.
Lopez picked up his fourth win this edition when he completed the 441 kilometres timed special in three hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds.
KTM stablemate and overall leader Cyril Despres of France was second on the day and bar accident in the final stage should claim his fifth Dakar title.
Despres is eight minutes and 15 seconds clear of Lopez who moved above Portugal’s Ruben Faria into second.
American Robby Gordon steered his Hummer to victory in the car category for his second stage win in three days.
Russian Leonid Novistkiy continued his push to cement the final spot on the overall Dakar podium with a fifth-place finish on the day.
The Mini driver is third overall one and a half hours off leader Stephane Peterhansel who was ninth on the day but remains in prime position to win a record extending 11th Dakar crown.
South African Giniel de Villiers was fourth over the stage and is second overall 44 minutes off the pace.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
- 4Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 5Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14Latest News Bulletin
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
- 17Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 20Myanmar: Aung San Suu Kyi poised for landslide election win as ruling party concedes defeat
Wires > Sport
- 04:39 CET Too big, too fast, too much – New Zealand bids farewell to Lomu
- 03:18 CET New Zealand await clarification on DRS controversy
- 00:15 CET Australia paceman Starc ruled out of entire summer
- 23:59 CET Bale and Ronaldo on target as Real beat Eibar
- 23:38 CET Hamburg 2024 Games bid collapses in referendum defeat
- 21:46 CET Roll on 2016, says happy Rosberg
- 21:32 CET Arsenal miss out on joining leaders, Spurs hold Chelsea
- 18:05 CET Aubameyang strikes twice as Dortmund crush Stuttgart