Francisco Lopez won the penultimate stage of this year’s Dakar Rally – a 735 kilometre ride between Copiapo and La Serena in his native Chile.
Lopez picked up his fourth win this edition when he completed the 441 kilometres timed special in three hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds.
KTM stablemate and overall leader Cyril Despres of France was second on the day and bar accident in the final stage should claim his fifth Dakar title.
Despres is eight minutes and 15 seconds clear of Lopez who moved above Portugal’s Ruben Faria into second.
American Robby Gordon steered his Hummer to victory in the car category for his second stage win in three days.
Russian Leonid Novistkiy continued his push to cement the final spot on the overall Dakar podium with a fifth-place finish on the day.
The Mini driver is third overall one and a half hours off leader Stephane Peterhansel who was ninth on the day but remains in prime position to win a record extending 11th Dakar crown.
South African Giniel de Villiers was fourth over the stage and is second overall 44 minutes off the pace.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20US-Iranian reporter to be freed or pardoned ‘in less than a month’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:21 CET Basketball – Barca, Olympiakos, CSKA reach Euroleague Top 16
- 23:03 CET San Francisco to submit bid for 2024 Olympics
- 22:35 CET Wigan owner Whelan accused of anti-Semitism
- 22:11 CET Banned FIFA official charged with fraud, money-laundering
- 19:16 CET Iniesta back in training before Sevilla clash
- 19:15 CET Captain Creevy returns as Pumas make four changes versus France
- 18:37 CET Stevens gets his F1 chance with Caterham
- 18:35 CET Ebola-ravaged Guinea overcome odds to reach Nations Cup