19/01/13 11:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Francisco Lopez won the penultimate stage of this year’s Dakar Rally – a 735 kilometre ride between Copiapo and La Serena in his native Chile.
Lopez picked up his fourth win this edition when he completed the 441 kilometres timed special in three hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds.
KTM stablemate and overall leader Cyril Despres of France was second on the day and bar accident in the final stage should claim his fifth Dakar title.
Despres is eight minutes and 15 seconds clear of Lopez who moved above Portugal’s Ruben Faria into second.
American Robby Gordon steered his Hummer to victory in the car category for his second stage win in three days.
Russian Leonid Novistkiy continued his push to cement the final spot on the overall Dakar podium with a fifth-place finish on the day.
The Mini driver is third overall one and a half hours off leader Stephane Peterhansel who was ninth on the day but remains in prime position to win a record extending 11th Dakar crown.
South African Giniel de Villiers was fourth over the stage and is second overall 44 minutes off the pace.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5FIFA’s ethics committee seek life bans for Blatter and Platini
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
Kenyan athletes continue protest at federation HQ
World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
Wires > Sport
- 08:30 CET Mission accomplished as Bayern Munich lay down title marker
- 08:14 CET Mourinho says doused halftime row with Costa with ‘kisses and…
- 08:06 CET Beaming Messi back playing like he was never away
- 08:05 CET Japan’s Sunwolves will be ready for Super Rugby – SANZAR chief
- 07:24 CET India lose both openers before lunch in third test
- 06:03 CET Bowlers in the pink for inaugural day-night test
- 03:24 CET Pound promises ‘wow factor’ in part two of WADA report
- 03:04 CET Clarke in no hurry to pick Ryder Cup vice-captains