Francisco Lopez won the penultimate stage of this year’s Dakar Rally – a 735 kilometre ride between Copiapo and La Serena in his native Chile.
Lopez picked up his fourth win this edition when he completed the 441 kilometres timed special in three hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds.
KTM stablemate and overall leader Cyril Despres of France was second on the day and bar accident in the final stage should claim his fifth Dakar title.
Despres is eight minutes and 15 seconds clear of Lopez who moved above Portugal’s Ruben Faria into second.
American Robby Gordon steered his Hummer to victory in the car category for his second stage win in three days.
Russian Leonid Novistkiy continued his push to cement the final spot on the overall Dakar podium with a fifth-place finish on the day.
The Mini driver is third overall one and a half hours off leader Stephane Peterhansel who was ninth on the day but remains in prime position to win a record extending 11th Dakar crown.
South African Giniel de Villiers was fourth over the stage and is second overall 44 minutes off the pace.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 9#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 10:10 CET FIFA finance watchdog member temporarily suspended during probe
- 09:54 CET Nottingham voted England’s City of Football
- 07:27 CET Match-fixing deterrent too expensive say Malaysians
- 06:47 CET North Korea hails world champion Yang
- 06:43 CET Iran equipment official charged with sexual harassment
- 06:03 CET Halep latest to qualify for WTA Finals
- 04:46 CET Ericsson looking to the long run
- 04:14 CET Lerner farewell galvanises Villa talent