The Sundance Film Festival is underway in Park City, a ski-resort in Utah.
The festival created by actor Robert Redford in 1985 now features over 100 films.
This year half of those on show are made by women:
“We don’t predict what is coming. We show what is there. And what comes up will usually give you an indication of changing times. So, even though I am kind of prejudiced, I like the idea that there are more women filmmakers. I think it is time that they had their due, and there should be more of them. And I think what we are seeing is that they are good,” said the famed actor.
“May in the Summer,” the U.S. competition opener, is a film by female writer/director Cherien Dabis,
“It was very important to me because it is my heritage and I did grow up very aware of the fact that Middle Easterners are very misrepresented and underrepresented and I just wanted to tell a universal story in the Middle East so that we could see the context in the Middle East and yet a story that has nothing to do with the things that we see everyday on the news.”
Palestinian-American Dabis, reverses the perspective on the Middle East, showing a Jordanian woman who has established a successful life in America but undergoes an identity crisis when she returns to her family in Jordan to plan her wedding.The 11-day festival will host 51 first-time filmmakers, with 27 titles in competition.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest cinema news
Stars and gondolas, Venice Film Festivals opens on top of the world
Redford and Nolte take a hike in A Walk in the Woods
‘No Escape’ puts Owen Wilson’s family in peril
“The 33” digs into 2010 Chilean mining rescue and media circus
Rap biopic rules Hollywood as NWA stay top for second week