The Sundance Film Festival is underway in Park City, a ski-resort in Utah.
The festival created by actor Robert Redford in 1985 now features over 100 films.
This year half of those on show are made by women:
“We don’t predict what is coming. We show what is there. And what comes up will usually give you an indication of changing times. So, even though I am kind of prejudiced, I like the idea that there are more women filmmakers. I think it is time that they had their due, and there should be more of them. And I think what we are seeing is that they are good,” said the famed actor.
“May in the Summer,” the U.S. competition opener, is a film by female writer/director Cherien Dabis,
“It was very important to me because it is my heritage and I did grow up very aware of the fact that Middle Easterners are very misrepresented and underrepresented and I just wanted to tell a universal story in the Middle East so that we could see the context in the Middle East and yet a story that has nothing to do with the things that we see everyday on the news.”
Palestinian-American Dabis, reverses the perspective on the Middle East, showing a Jordanian woman who has established a successful life in America but undergoes an identity crisis when she returns to her family in Jordan to plan her wedding.The 11-day festival will host 51 first-time filmmakers, with 27 titles in competition.
- 1Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 2Jonathan Yeo adopts actress Cara Delevingne for new exhibition
- 314-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 4Meryl Streep to lead the way at Berlin Film Festival
- 5Postcards from Uzbekistan: The historic beauty of Rishtan ceramics
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21