The Sundance Film Festival is underway in Park City, a ski-resort in Utah.
The festival created by actor Robert Redford in 1985 now features over 100 films.
This year half of those on show are made by women:
“We don’t predict what is coming. We show what is there. And what comes up will usually give you an indication of changing times. So, even though I am kind of prejudiced, I like the idea that there are more women filmmakers. I think it is time that they had their due, and there should be more of them. And I think what we are seeing is that they are good,” said the famed actor.
“May in the Summer,” the U.S. competition opener, is a film by female writer/director Cherien Dabis,
“It was very important to me because it is my heritage and I did grow up very aware of the fact that Middle Easterners are very misrepresented and underrepresented and I just wanted to tell a universal story in the Middle East so that we could see the context in the Middle East and yet a story that has nothing to do with the things that we see everyday on the news.”
Palestinian-American Dabis, reverses the perspective on the Middle East, showing a Jordanian woman who has established a successful life in America but undergoes an identity crisis when she returns to her family in Jordan to plan her wedding.The 11-day festival will host 51 first-time filmmakers, with 27 titles in competition.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 15Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job