Around 100 Togolese soldiers have arrived in Mali’s capital Bamako.
They are part of a deployment of West African forces sent to help Malian and French soldiers fight the Islamist insurgency in the country’s north.
Nigeria, which is expected to lead the African troops, has sent around 160 soldiers and committed to a total of 900.
Colonel Eric of the French army praised the arrival of the first soldiers: “For us it it is important. It shows that France is not alone and it shows that ECOWAS and the African countries are making the effort to help Mali out of this situation.”
France is keen to ultimately hand over the mission to Africa’s ECOWAS bloc, which secured a United Nations mandate in December for a 3,300 strong mission in Mali.
The rebels’ push into central Mali was stalled last week by France’s intervention, which has included both air strikes and the deployment of ground troops.
But French officials say their forces have been facing fiercer resistance than they expected.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Wires > News
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 06:30 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least five dead
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers
- 03:51 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse