Around 100 Togolese soldiers have arrived in Mali’s capital Bamako.
They are part of a deployment of West African forces sent to help Malian and French soldiers fight the Islamist insurgency in the country’s north.
Nigeria, which is expected to lead the African troops, has sent around 160 soldiers and committed to a total of 900.
Colonel Eric of the French army praised the arrival of the first soldiers: “For us it it is important. It shows that France is not alone and it shows that ECOWAS and the African countries are making the effort to help Mali out of this situation.”
France is keen to ultimately hand over the mission to Africa’s ECOWAS bloc, which secured a United Nations mandate in December for a 3,300 strong mission in Mali.
The rebels’ push into central Mali was stalled last week by France’s intervention, which has included both air strikes and the deployment of ground troops.
But French officials say their forces have been facing fiercer resistance than they expected.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Crowdfunded site for Greek debt nears €1,500,000 in contributions
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 14:21 CET Russia says new U.S. military strategy is confrontational
- 14:02 CET Police respond to reported active shooter at Navy Yard -…
- 13:58 CET U.N. refugee agency urges Hungary not to tighten asylum rules
- 13:45 CET Sabotage suspected as Pakistan troop train plunges into canal…
- 13:28 CET Afghan forces raid medical aid group MSF’s hospital in north
- 13:24 CET British woman charged with being member of Islamic State
- 12:57 CET Philippine ferry sinks, killing at least 36, but most passengers…
- 12:54 CET Egyptian air strikes kill 23 militants in North Sinai – sources