Around 100 Togolese soldiers have arrived in Mali’s capital Bamako.
They are part of a deployment of West African forces sent to help Malian and French soldiers fight the Islamist insurgency in the country’s north.
Nigeria, which is expected to lead the African troops, has sent around 160 soldiers and committed to a total of 900.
Colonel Eric of the French army praised the arrival of the first soldiers: “For us it it is important. It shows that France is not alone and it shows that ECOWAS and the African countries are making the effort to help Mali out of this situation.”
France is keen to ultimately hand over the mission to Africa’s ECOWAS bloc, which secured a United Nations mandate in December for a 3,300 strong mission in Mali.
The rebels’ push into central Mali was stalled last week by France’s intervention, which has included both air strikes and the deployment of ground troops.
But French officials say their forces have been facing fiercer resistance than they expected.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…