There is a new era of hope opening up for footballers in Somalia who are taking back sporting facilities after al-Shabaab extremists were driven out of the capital Mogadishu.
The militants, who are aligned to al-Qaeda, used to execute prisoners in the National Stadium.
Now they have gone, FIFA is helping to rebuild. Mogadishu’s Elman Football Club somehow survived two decades of bloody chaos.
Coach Yusuf Ali Noor said: “It shows how much we love sports, that despite the chaos going on around the city, and despite the field becoming a frontline, we were still training and playing matches here. Now you can see the area is calm and security is back, nothing like what it was before.”
The players have to train early to avoid the Somali heat, but for these sportsmen it is a small price to pay. Under al-Shabaab, football was banned, and playing or even watching a game could have cost them their lives.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 15:57 CET ‘Frisbee’ comes of age, earns Olympic recognition
- 15:54 CET IOC overhauls Olympic bid process to attract more cities
- 15:41 CET Sport rocked by ‘wild’ doping allegations
- 14:23 CET South Sudan becomes Olympic movement’s 206th member
- 14:13 CET FA are ‘amateurs’, says Hull chairman Allam
- 14:05 CET World Rugby expects ‘white-knuckle ride’ with Rio stadium
- 14:03 CET Leach takes hat-trick with first three balls of match
- 11:50 CET Selfies and six packs to derail Arsenal’s title hopes: Keane