Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
- 1Paris 2024 unveil new Eiffel Tower-inspired Olympic bid logo
- 2Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
- 3The Denver masses turn out for Broncos’ Super Bowl-winning parade
- 4Jazz sink Dallas in overtime
- 5Ski Jumping: Prevc leaps towards World Cup title with ninth win of the season
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Ski Jumping: Prevc leaps towards World Cup title with ninth win of the season
Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
Tour of Qatar: Boasson Hagen cruises to stage three victory and overall race lead
Jazz sink Dallas in overtime
Goaltending legend Brodeur’s New Devils shirt retired
Wires > Sport
- 02:28 CET Accusations fly as Windies World Twenty20 squad stand firm
- 01:12 CET Caddies lose lawsuit versus PGA Tour, ponder next step
- 00:57 CET Kenyan federation CEO dismisses bribery claim
- 00:31 CET WADA ‘extremely troubled’ by Kenyan bribery claims
- 00:28 CET Barca salvage 1-1 King’s Cup draw against improved Valencia
- 23:43 CET Bad publicity leads Nestle to end IAAF partnership
- 23:22 CET Ibrahimovic double helps PSG sink Lyon in Cup
- 22:44 CET Bayern ease into German Cup semis with win over Bochum