Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 12:47 CET English FA wants British team at Rio Olympics
- 12:20 CET Pietersen does not warrant England return, says Hussain
- 12:06 CET High-scoring South Africa thump Ireland
- 11:29 CET Wolff to take part in two free practice sessions
- 11:23 CET Wales lose James for rest of Six Nations
- 11:15 CET Past sins put German football in doping spotlight
- 10:48 CET Tweet fuels talk of Bartoli return
- 09:02 CET Australia full of confidence despite NZ loss – Clarke