Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 13:28 CET Analysis – Cook dismissal better late than never for England
- 13:26 CET Mancini positive Inter can finish third
- 12:00 CET Carrick replaces Fletcher as Man United vice-captain
- 10:09 CET Magic Johnson inspires Australia to second test win
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014