Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 04:42 CET USA pound hapless Guatemala 4-0 in friendly
- 04:19 CET England bank on Bayliss to douse Australian fire
- 04:16 CET Guerrero on target as Peru clinch Copa third place again
- 03:26 CET No Blatter, no problem say World Cup organisers
- 03:07 CET Analysis – World Cup final represents classic clash of styles
- 03:00 CET Japan and U.S. set for spicy World Cup final rematch
- 02:36 CET Current Argentina side is one of the best, Martino says
- 02:21 CET Resilient Hamilton just wants to be himself