Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 3Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 4‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 5UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 13:05 CET China eyes $817 billion sports sector for new economy
- 13:02 CET With Cork popped, goals finally flow for Saint Jack
- 12:24 CET Parnell out for Proteas but De Villiers backs depth
- 12:16 CET Hulkenberg secures Force India seat for 2015
- 12:05 CET Liverpool hit by Suarez loss, says Rodgers
- 11:45 CET Cheika says offered Wallabies job but no deal yet
- 09:48 CET Carter, Sonny Bill named in All Blacks tour squad
- 04:17 CET Barca need to avoid Clasico obsession, focus on Ajax