Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:59 CET Sanctioned Beale to miss Wallabies’ season-ending tour
- 05:40 CET Australia batsmen in familiar tail-spin in Dubai
- 05:38 CET U.S., Costa Rica qualify for Women’s World Cup
- 02:02 CET PGA president fired for ‘insensitive’ remarks
- 00:18 CET Caterham F1 team set to miss next two races
- 23:13 CET Coric stuns Nadal in Basel, Federer through
- 21:57 CET Players weigh in on Bishop-Poulter spat
- 21:22 CET Italian football in danger of dying, says Juve president