Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 14Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 15EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:36 CET Virgin Media complains to regulator over Premier League rights…
- 11:29 CET Australia paceman Johnson still remembers English taunts
- 11:00 CET Top seed Wawrinka humbled by local wildcard in Japan
- 10:29 CET Former England prop Sheridan retires
- 09:14 CET Beaten Wallabies come without baggage for Argentina date
- 07:52 CET Li named ambassador for WTA Finals in Singapore
- 04:29 CET Arsenal must now beat Galatasaray, says Cazorla
- 04:23 CET Ludogorets bid to follow in CSKA’s footsteps