Alexis Pinturault highlighted his emerging talent by winning his second world cup race of the season in a super combined event in Wengen, Switzerland.
The 21-year-old Frenchman finished a lowly 22nd in the morning’s Downhill section but carved up the course in the slalom leg to collect his third career world cup triumph after wins in Munich last season and a slalom race in Val d’Isere in December.
Pinturault clocked a winning combined time of two minutes and 41.62 seconds.
2011 overall world cup champion and two-time super combined title holder Ivica Kostelic was second.
The Croatian, who was 21st in the downhill, was 1.15 seconds behind to miss out on a third straight super combined victory at the Swiss resort.
Local favourite Carlo Janka, who has rarely threatened since winning the overall world cup crown in 2010, finished third, 1.49 behind Pinturault. Surprisingly, it was the first podium finish of the season for the Swiss men’s team.
Aksel Lund of Svindal of Norway placed 14th to close the points gap on overall World Cup leader Marcel Hirscher who skipped the event.
- 1Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Sochi gears up for Sunday’s Russian Grand Prix
- 3South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon dismisses FIFA charges against him
- 4Holland and Sweden face crucial Euro qualifier fixtures
- 5Graham Jarvis beats Jonny Walker in thrilling Red Bull Sea to Sky Enduro final in Turkey
- 1Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 2Liverpool manager sacked eight games in to Premier League
- 3Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 4England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 5[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 3Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 4Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 5Champions League day two match preview
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Messi’s father faces jail over tax fraud charges
Holland and Sweden face crucial Euro qualifier fixtures
Graham Jarvis beats Jonny Walker in thrilling Red Bull Sea to Sky Enduro final in Turkey
Sochi gears up for Sunday’s Russian Grand Prix
South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon dismisses FIFA charges against him
Wires > Sport
- 01:21 CET Ireland assistant says new dad Keane will play Germany
- 00:08 CET Lack of experience costs England dear
- 23:39 CET Germany great Mueller suffering from Alzheimers – Bayern
- 22:48 CET Formula One could be sold this year – Ecclestone
- 22:00 CET De Bruyne to be given lead role for Belgium
- 21:08 CET Samoan Tuilagi suspended for five weeks
- 21:05 CET South American qualifiers start without elite quintet
- 20:21 CET Germany have one eye on the finals, Ireland one on Scotland