Hyped for days in advance, Lance Armstrong has finally apologised for using performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career.
He made his doping confession in an interview with TV host Oprah Winfrey.
Armstrong admitted that the whole affair had been “one big lie” which he “repeated lots of times”. But he said, at the time, he did not feel like it was cheating.
He told Oprah that he would “spend the rest of my life trying to earn back trust”.
Armstrong won a record breaking seven Tour de France titles. He has been stripped of them and his Olympic medal.
Below is a transcript of the moment Armstrong admits to doping.
Oprah: “Yes or no, did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Yes or no. Was one of those banned substances EPO?”
Oprah: “Did you ever blood dope or use blood transfusions to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Did you use any other banned substances, like testosterone, cortisone or human growth hormone?”
Armstrong, US cyclist: “Yes.”
Oprah: “In your opinion was it humanly possible to win the Tour de France without doping, seven times in a row?”
Armstrong: “Not in my opinion”.
The second part of a two-part interview will air in the US on Friday evening.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM