Hyped for days in advance, Lance Armstrong has finally apologised for using performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career.
He made his doping confession in an interview with TV host Oprah Winfrey.
Armstrong admitted that the whole affair had been “one big lie” which he “repeated lots of times”. But he said, at the time, he did not feel like it was cheating.
He told Oprah that he would “spend the rest of my life trying to earn back trust”.
Armstrong won a record breaking seven Tour de France titles. He has been stripped of them and his Olympic medal.
Below is a transcript of the moment Armstrong admits to doping.
Oprah: “Yes or no, did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Yes or no. Was one of those banned substances EPO?”
Oprah: “Did you ever blood dope or use blood transfusions to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Did you use any other banned substances, like testosterone, cortisone or human growth hormone?”
Armstrong, US cyclist: “Yes.”
Oprah: “In your opinion was it humanly possible to win the Tour de France without doping, seven times in a row?”
Armstrong: “Not in my opinion”.
The second part of a two-part interview will air in the US on Friday evening.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:10 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to Obama: Don’t allow Iran deal that leaves it…
- 19:47 CET Reeling from Ebola, WHO warns of MERS risk to Africa
- 19:18 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 18:51 CET Insight – Saudi Arabia fears Yemeni tumult may boost its main foe…
- 18:43 CET U.N. to talk with Libyan militias as next step in peace process
- 18:17 CET Modi to wield broom in nationwide ‘Clean India’ campaign
- 18:14 CET Car bomb kills 11 in Shi’ite Baghdad neighbourhood- police, medics
- 18:09 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can’t be allowed to reach…