Hyped for days in advance, Lance Armstrong has finally apologised for using performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career.
He made his doping confession in an interview with TV host Oprah Winfrey.
Armstrong admitted that the whole affair had been “one big lie” which he “repeated lots of times”. But he said, at the time, he did not feel like it was cheating.
He told Oprah that he would “spend the rest of my life trying to earn back trust”.
Armstrong won a record breaking seven Tour de France titles. He has been stripped of them and his Olympic medal.
Below is a transcript of the moment Armstrong admits to doping.
Oprah: “Yes or no, did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Yes or no. Was one of those banned substances EPO?”
Oprah: “Did you ever blood dope or use blood transfusions to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Did you use any other banned substances, like testosterone, cortisone or human growth hormone?”
Armstrong, US cyclist: “Yes.”
Oprah: “In your opinion was it humanly possible to win the Tour de France without doping, seven times in a row?”
Armstrong: “Not in my opinion”.
The second part of a two-part interview will air in the US on Friday evening.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 04:41 CET China clamps down on 181 “terror gangs” in west
- 00:35 CET Polish president concedes election defeat to conservative…
- 00:24 CET Indonesia’s military creeps back into civilian affairs
- 23:20 CET Libyan government warplanes attack oil tanker docked at Sirte
- 21:11 CET Greece hasn’t got the money to make June IMF repayment – interior…
- 20:54 CET Syria says Islamic State kills hundreds, including children, in…
- 20:27 CET John Nash, mathematician who inspired ‘A Beautiful Mind’, killed…
- 18:50 CET Ex-advisor to Peruvian president disappears in Bolivia