Hyped for days in advance, Lance Armstrong has finally apologised for using performance enhancing drugs during his cycling career.
He made his doping confession in an interview with TV host Oprah Winfrey.
Armstrong admitted that the whole affair had been “one big lie” which he “repeated lots of times”. But he said, at the time, he did not feel like it was cheating.
He told Oprah that he would “spend the rest of my life trying to earn back trust”.
Armstrong won a record breaking seven Tour de France titles. He has been stripped of them and his Olympic medal.
Below is a transcript of the moment Armstrong admits to doping.
Oprah: “Yes or no, did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Yes or no. Was one of those banned substances EPO?”
Oprah: “Did you ever blood dope or use blood transfusions to enhance your cycling performance?”
Oprah: “Did you use any other banned substances, like testosterone, cortisone or human growth hormone?”
Armstrong, US cyclist: “Yes.”
Oprah: “In your opinion was it humanly possible to win the Tour de France without doping, seven times in a row?”
Armstrong: “Not in my opinion”.
The second part of a two-part interview will air in the US on Friday evening.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Brazil’s Petrobras scandal claims two more scalps – a billionaire and a politician
French comedian Dieudonné is sent to jail over anti-semitic remarks
France introduces plain cigarette packaging
Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
MSF hospital strike ‘avoidable accident’ – US army probe
Wires > News
- 05:58 CET Mud from Brazil dam burst is toxic, UN says
- 05:49 CET Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting…
- 05:09 CET China pledges to work with Africa in fighting militancy after Mali…
- 04:27 CET Japan’s CO2 emissions fall 3 percent to three-year low in FY2014
- 04:10 CET Venezuela opposition activist shot dead, party says
- 03:08 CET Argentine president-elect taps ex-central banker as finance…
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…