The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says the world economy was pulled back from the brink of collapse in 2012, but rigorous fiscal reform will be needed in the coming year to safeguard the recovery.
IMF chief Christine Lagarde said the economic powers have a lot of work left to do and homed in on Europe’s challenges.
“We stopped the collapse, we should avoid the relapse. It is not time to relax,” Lagarde said.
“A lot has been achieved in terms of new tools in the toolbox that the Europeans have available to fight the crisis. Yet, the firewalls have not yet proven operational. Progress needs to be made on banking union,” she added.
On the United States, Lagarde said the debt ceiling must be raised and was critical of political battles over the budget.
Euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe reports from Washington: “Christine Lagarde sounded less pessimistic in her assessment of Europe than other observers, like the World Bank. She praised the Europeans for producing results, unlike other regions. She may have been thinking of the United States.”
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…