EU countries will no longer be able to issue lifetime paper driving licences from Saturday.
They will gradually be replaced with a common European credit-card style version over the next two decades.
The standard format of the new card licences will make it easier for traffic police in other EU countries to read.
Licences will still be handed out by national authorites, and points and fines will not be transferable from country to another.
These changes will affect some 300 million people, or nearly 60 percent of the EU’s population.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet