EU countries will no longer be able to issue lifetime paper driving licences from Saturday.
They will gradually be replaced with a common European credit-card style version over the next two decades.
The standard format of the new card licences will make it easier for traffic police in other EU countries to read.
Licences will still be handed out by national authorites, and points and fines will not be transferable from country to another.
These changes will affect some 300 million people, or nearly 60 percent of the EU’s population.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 20Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world