EU countries will no longer be able to issue lifetime paper driving licences from Saturday.
They will gradually be replaced with a common European credit-card style version over the next two decades.
The standard format of the new card licences will make it easier for traffic police in other EU countries to read.
Licences will still be handed out by national authorites, and points and fines will not be transferable from country to another.
These changes will affect some 300 million people, or nearly 60 percent of the EU’s population.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy