EU countries will no longer be able to issue lifetime paper driving licences from Saturday.
They will gradually be replaced with a common European credit-card style version over the next two decades.
The standard format of the new card licences will make it easier for traffic police in other EU countries to read.
Licences will still be handed out by national authorites, and points and fines will not be transferable from country to another.
These changes will affect some 300 million people, or nearly 60 percent of the EU’s population.
- 1Austria tops the migrant league
- 2EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
- 5EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
- 1Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 2The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 3EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 4Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 5European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country