Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem is set to be named as the new head of the Eurogroup on Monday.
He’ll take over from Luxembourg’s Jean-Claude Juncker to lead the powerful body of eurozone finance ministers.
The role will grow in importance over the next years as the currency area adopts more integrated economic policymaking.
“We don’t know that much about him, he is a relative newcomer on the European political scene, certainly he comes with a good pedigree, from the recent Dutch elections that produce pro-european government but beyond that,very little is known about him,” said Fabian Zuleeg, Chief Economist at the European Policy Centre.
Dijsselbloem has been heavily backed by Germany to take over the position of Eurogroup president.
But the candidate from the group of northern European countries backing tough economic reforms has received a cooler response elsewhere.
France has so far remained silent as to whether it will support Dijsselbloem’s bid.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video