Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem is set to be named as the new head of the Eurogroup on Monday.
He’ll take over from Luxembourg’s Jean-Claude Juncker to lead the powerful body of eurozone finance ministers.
The role will grow in importance over the next years as the currency area adopts more integrated economic policymaking.
“We don’t know that much about him, he is a relative newcomer on the European political scene, certainly he comes with a good pedigree, from the recent Dutch elections that produce pro-european government but beyond that,very little is known about him,” said Fabian Zuleeg, Chief Economist at the European Policy Centre.
Dijsselbloem has been heavily backed by Germany to take over the position of Eurogroup president.
But the candidate from the group of northern European countries backing tough economic reforms has received a cooler response elsewhere.
France has so far remained silent as to whether it will support Dijsselbloem’s bid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 4International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Femen protest in Kiev against Navalny verdict | euronews, no comment