Washington is gearing up for a weekend of celebration and pageantry ahead of Barack Obama’s inauguration for a second presidential term on Monday.
Up to half a million people are expected to visit the US capital. The main avenues around the White House have been decorated. Last minute details are under constant review.
Abraham Lincoln stayed at the Willard InterContinental before his inauguration. The hotel’s prestigious Jefferson Suite costs just a snip this weekend: only around $25,000 (18,000 euros).
“This is a parade viewing suite. We have some amazing views of Pennsylvania Avenue,” said Barbara Bahny, the hotel’s Director of Communications, as she showed euronews round. “The suite’s dining room is based on the theme of the Oval Office, we have an oval-shaped room here.”
In Washington’s oldest watering hole, the Round Robin Bar, Jim Rewes the bartender has been concocting something special for the occasion.
“Well, Obama being a president of the people, he grew up in Hawaii. So what I have is a cocktail I call a Blue Hawaiian. It’s a wonderful cocktail, a light libation of extraordinary character. It’s one of my Obama drinks,” he said proudly.
Events get underway on Saturday; Beyonce and Stevie Wonder are among several artists due to perform.
Euronews correspondent in Washington, Stefan Grobe, said:
“President Obama’s inauguration is the biggest political celebration of the year – and probably for the next four years, in a country that is essentially broke. When the party is over, the battle over debt ceilings and spending cuts will produce a sure hangover.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:01 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 10:54 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a ‘myth’
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal
- 22:27 CET Greece wants EU/IMF deal but impasse could bring referendum -…
- 20:12 CET Islamist group claims attack on U.N. peacekeepers in Mali
- 18:17 CET French customs seize record 2.25 tonnes of cocaine off Martinique