Washington is gearing up for a weekend of celebration and pageantry ahead of Barack Obama’s inauguration for a second presidential term on Monday.
Up to half a million people are expected to visit the US capital. The main avenues around the White House have been decorated. Last minute details are under constant review.
Abraham Lincoln stayed at the Willard InterContinental before his inauguration. The hotel’s prestigious Jefferson Suite costs just a snip this weekend: only around $25,000 (18,000 euros).
“This is a parade viewing suite. We have some amazing views of Pennsylvania Avenue,” said Barbara Bahny, the hotel’s Director of Communications, as she showed euronews round. “The suite’s dining room is based on the theme of the Oval Office, we have an oval-shaped room here.”
In Washington’s oldest watering hole, the Round Robin Bar, Jim Rewes the bartender has been concocting something special for the occasion.
“Well, Obama being a president of the people, he grew up in Hawaii. So what I have is a cocktail I call a Blue Hawaiian. It’s a wonderful cocktail, a light libation of extraordinary character. It’s one of my Obama drinks,” he said proudly.
Events get underway on Saturday; Beyonce and Stevie Wonder are among several artists due to perform.
Euronews correspondent in Washington, Stefan Grobe, said:
“President Obama’s inauguration is the biggest political celebration of the year – and probably for the next four years, in a country that is essentially broke. When the party is over, the battle over debt ceilings and spending cuts will produce a sure hangover.”
- 1Merkel: no talks on new Greece bailout deal until after referendum
- 2Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 3UPDATE Egypt: Islamist militants affiliated to ISIL claim deadly Sinai attacks
- 4What is the market price of valour for Greece?
- 5Ukraine stops Russian gas imports after price talks collapse
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 04:13 CET Working engine on crashed TransAsia plane was shut off – Taiwan…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy
- 23:20 CET Congo Republic leader calls for national dialogue, with term…
- 23:10 CET Fleeing a crisis, Greek migrants flock back to Australia
- 22:27 CET Mexico supreme court judge urges states to legalize gay marriage