Washington is gearing up for a weekend of celebration and pageantry ahead of Barack Obama’s inauguration for a second presidential term on Monday.
Up to half a million people are expected to visit the US capital. The main avenues around the White House have been decorated. Last minute details are under constant review.
Abraham Lincoln stayed at the Willard InterContinental before his inauguration. The hotel’s prestigious Jefferson Suite costs just a snip this weekend: only around $25,000 (18,000 euros).
“This is a parade viewing suite. We have some amazing views of Pennsylvania Avenue,” said Barbara Bahny, the hotel’s Director of Communications, as she showed euronews round. “The suite’s dining room is based on the theme of the Oval Office, we have an oval-shaped room here.”
In Washington’s oldest watering hole, the Round Robin Bar, Jim Rewes the bartender has been concocting something special for the occasion.
“Well, Obama being a president of the people, he grew up in Hawaii. So what I have is a cocktail I call a Blue Hawaiian. It’s a wonderful cocktail, a light libation of extraordinary character. It’s one of my Obama drinks,” he said proudly.
Events get underway on Saturday; Beyonce and Stevie Wonder are among several artists due to perform.
Euronews correspondent in Washington, Stefan Grobe, said:
“President Obama’s inauguration is the biggest political celebration of the year – and probably for the next four years, in a country that is essentially broke. When the party is over, the battle over debt ceilings and spending cuts will produce a sure hangover.”
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 10:05 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…
- 07:30 CET Singaporeans bid final farewell to founding father Lee
- 06:50 CET Insight – Modi’s popularity in rural India punctured by…
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report
- 01:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 23:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters