Google has denied killing a donkey on a road in Botswana after some people accused one of its cars of a hit-and-run while taking pictures for its Street View mapping service.
Surely Google could not ignore such an accusation! and Kei Kawai, of Google Maps therefore wrote a blog post entitled Never ass-ume restoring the original photos, in which you can see the front and back of the Google car which are normally blurred.
Kei Kawai explains that the animal was enjoying a roll in the dust, when the car arrived and it stood up and moved out of the way to allow the car to pass. He says that because of the 360 degree angle taken by the camera some had played the image in reverse, mistakenly believing that the car had hit the donkey. Kei Kawai concludes: “I’m pleased to confirm the donkey is alive and well.”
The story spread quickly because of a tweet on January 14 from the @streetviewfunny account which searches for unusual images from the Google site.
Word also got around via Reddit where the images received over 400 comments. Some were saddened, but others reassured them saying they were watching the scene the other way around:
Indeed, after consulting our best euronews expert we can deduce that:
1. The other car in the images passes on the right.
2. So the “Google car” is driving on the left.
3. In Botswana they drive on the left so the Google car is moving towards the donkey from that direction.
4. The donkey can be seen standing in the dust of the other Jeep.
5. It then rolls in the dirt in front of the Google car.
6. It then stands up allowing the car to pass and is unharmed.
7. So he survived unscathed and went on to live a long and happy life. Or at the very least he wasn’t crushed to death on this occasion.
8. Google is found not guilty
10. The end.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
Wires > News
- 20:48 CET Maldives boat blast was attempt on president’s life – minister
- 20:31 CET Ex-U.N. General Assembly president, five others charged in U.S. in…
- 20:25 CET Congo ruling party officials behind demo attack – rights body HRW
- 20:24 CET Islamic State kills 22 in attacks on Yemen government, Gulf…
- 20:23 CET United Airlines flight diverted because of unconscious co-pilot -…
- 20:06 CET Top U.S. general calls Afghan hospital strike a mistake made…
- 19:39 CET Pentagon sees decision soon on Russian rocket engine waiver
- 19:32 CET Mexico army boss will not allow questioning of troops in student…