Google has denied killing a donkey on a road in Botswana after some people accused one of its cars of a hit-and-run while taking pictures for its Street View mapping service.
Surely Google could not ignore such an accusation! and Kei Kawai, of Google Maps therefore wrote a blog post entitled Never ass-ume restoring the original photos, in which you can see the front and back of the Google car which are normally blurred.
Kei Kawai explains that the animal was enjoying a roll in the dust, when the car arrived and it stood up and moved out of the way to allow the car to pass. He says that because of the 360 degree angle taken by the camera some had played the image in reverse, mistakenly believing that the car had hit the donkey. Kei Kawai concludes: “I’m pleased to confirm the donkey is alive and well.”
The story spread quickly because of a tweet on January 14 from the @streetviewfunny account which searches for unusual images from the Google site.
Word also got around via Reddit where the images received over 400 comments. Some were saddened, but others reassured them saying they were watching the scene the other way around:
Indeed, after consulting our best euronews expert we can deduce that:
1. The other car in the images passes on the right.
2. So the “Google car” is driving on the left.
3. In Botswana they drive on the left so the Google car is moving towards the donkey from that direction.
4. The donkey can be seen standing in the dust of the other Jeep.
5. It then rolls in the dirt in front of the Google car.
6. It then stands up allowing the car to pass and is unharmed.
7. So he survived unscathed and went on to live a long and happy life. Or at the very least he wasn’t crushed to death on this occasion.
8. Google is found not guilty
10. The end.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Wires > News
- 09:55 CET India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to…
- 09:18 CET Japan minister’s nuclear comments spark new row over security bills
- 09:16 CET Italian foreign minister invites Iran’s Rouhani to Rome – IRNA
- 09:08 CET Pakistan’s secret military courts given Supreme Court blessing
- 09:05 CET Turkish reporters face jail for publishing photo – prosecutors
- 09:04 CET Nepal villagers recover remains of 17 missing people
- 08:58 CET Kerry raises South China Sea concerns with China’s Wang
- 08:50 CET Obama warns of dangers to Israel if Iran deal blocked – …