Google has denied killing a donkey on a road in Botswana after some people accused one of its cars of a hit-and-run while taking pictures for its Street View mapping service.
Surely Google could not ignore such an accusation! and Kei Kawai, of Google Maps therefore wrote a blog post entitled Never ass-ume restoring the original photos, in which you can see the front and back of the Google car which are normally blurred.
Kei Kawai explains that the animal was enjoying a roll in the dust, when the car arrived and it stood up and moved out of the way to allow the car to pass. He says that because of the 360 degree angle taken by the camera some had played the image in reverse, mistakenly believing that the car had hit the donkey. Kei Kawai concludes: “I’m pleased to confirm the donkey is alive and well.”
The story spread quickly because of a tweet on January 14 from the @streetviewfunny account which searches for unusual images from the Google site.
Word also got around via Reddit where the images received over 400 comments. Some were saddened, but others reassured them saying they were watching the scene the other way around:
Indeed, after consulting our best euronews expert we can deduce that:
1. The other car in the images passes on the right.
2. So the “Google car” is driving on the left.
3. In Botswana they drive on the left so the Google car is moving towards the donkey from that direction.
4. The donkey can be seen standing in the dust of the other Jeep.
5. It then rolls in the dirt in front of the Google car.
6. It then stands up allowing the car to pass and is unharmed.
7. So he survived unscathed and went on to live a long and happy life. Or at the very least he wasn’t crushed to death on this occasion.
8. Google is found not guilty
10. The end.
- 1Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 2All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 3COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
- 4Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 5Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 01:06 CET EU hopes for Turkish help to slow migrants at summit
- 22:41 CET Suspect in Colorado clinic shooting had past brushes with the law
- 22:12 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 22:00 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 21:21 CET Putin, citing national security, signs Turkey sanctions decree
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas