France now has 1,400 troops on the ground in Mali, according to the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian.
He added that although fighting had been taking place around Diabali overnight, no more had been reported today.
The town was taken by Islamists on Monday.
Retaking Diabali is said to be a priority for the French. Hundreds of troops have been sent from the nearby town of Niono.
While columns have been advancing north towards the centre of the country, an alert has been reported in a town closer to the capital.
Malian troops have been sent to Banamba, 140 kilometres from Bamako, after Islamist fighters were spotted in the region.
Clashes have also been reported in the area around Kona to the north-east. Its fall to the militants last week was the trigger for the military intervention.
The French Defence Minister said the town had not been retaken by government forces, contrary to earlier reports.
French fighter planes are said to have attacked Islamist police headquarters well to the north, at Timbuktu.
The interim president in Mali, Dioncounda Traore, visited the French military airbase in Bamako on Wednesday. He said he wanted to thank soldiers on behalf of all Malian people.
France has said it has no wish to fight alone and has been pushing for the deployment of the West African force already backed by the UN.
The imminent arrival of the first contingent from Nigeria should come as some relief to French forces.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 3All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 4Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 5Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
Sand sculptures stun beach-goers in Florida Keys
Monarch butterflies make annual migration to Mexico
Wires > News
- 13:14 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 13:02 CET World climate rallies put pressure on Paris summit to act
- 12:49 CET Turkey to help EU curb migration in exchange for cash, …
- 12:28 CET Three-way tie seen in Spain’s vote as Ciudadanos gains ground
- 11:16 CET Turkey preparing to hand over body of pilot to Russia – PM
- 10:54 CET Syria monitor – Russian air strikes kill at least 18 in northwest
- 10:31 CET Austria’s Faymann sees compromise in EU-Turkey talks – Kurier
- 07:19 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ – reports