The first ground assault by French troops against Islamist rebels in Mali is well underway.
Columns of French armoured vehicles have been advancing north towards rebel positions from the town of Niono, 300 kilometres from the capital Bamako.
A Malian Army spokesman says French special forces are taking part in the operation.
Militant islamists took control of vast swathes of desert in Mali’s north last year.
They now also claim to be in control of three key towns in the centre of the country – Diabali, Cala and Kona.
With the northern border region near Mauritania secured by the Malian Army, the rebels may find themselves pinned down between the border and the advancing French.
Rebel fighters raise their flag on the outskirts of the town of Kona.
Commentators say French intervention has been necessary but is not sufficient. The arrival of West African troops as reinforcement is much anticipated.
- 1Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 2Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from gays for past…
- 22:29 CET Rio mayor delivers last major Olympic Park installation
- 22:27 CET Pride parades tinged with sadness after Orlando massacre
- 22:17 CET Panama opens canal extension amid growth risks, cost battle
- 22:16 CET British EU vote causes alarm abroad as ripples spread
- 22:15 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties -senior Israeli official
- 22:11 CET Multiple stabbing victims during rally in Sacramento, California
- 21:27 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja