The first ground assault by French troops against Islamist rebels in Mali is well underway.
Columns of French armoured vehicles have been advancing north towards rebel positions from the town of Niono, 300 kilometres from the capital Bamako.
A Malian Army spokesman says French special forces are taking part in the operation.
Militant islamists took control of vast swathes of desert in Mali’s north last year.
They now also claim to be in control of three key towns in the centre of the country – Diabali, Cala and Kona.
With the northern border region near Mauritania secured by the Malian Army, the rebels may find themselves pinned down between the border and the advancing French.
Rebel fighters raise their flag on the outskirts of the town of Kona.
Commentators say French intervention has been necessary but is not sufficient. The arrival of West African troops as reinforcement is much anticipated.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:52 CET Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland: Polish ex-minister
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc