The first ground assault by French troops against Islamist rebels in Mali is well underway.
Columns of French armoured vehicles have been advancing north towards rebel positions from the town of Niono, 300 kilometres from the capital Bamako.
A Malian Army spokesman says French special forces are taking part in the operation.
Militant islamists took control of vast swathes of desert in Mali’s north last year.
They now also claim to be in control of three key towns in the centre of the country – Diabali, Cala and Kona.
With the northern border region near Mauritania secured by the Malian Army, the rebels may find themselves pinned down between the border and the advancing French.
Rebel fighters raise their flag on the outskirts of the town of Kona.
Commentators say French intervention has been necessary but is not sufficient. The arrival of West African troops as reinforcement is much anticipated.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 5MH17 victims to be taken to the Netherlands – Ukraine Deputy PM
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 09:13 CET India to investigate corruption in healthcare after TV sting…
- 09:03 CET China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside
- 08:41 CET Two Turkish soldiers killed in clash with suspected smugglers near…
- 08:24 CET Three foreign advisers killed near Kabul airport
- 07:56 CET Philippine Catholic bishops tell Aquino to uphold constitution
- 07:11 CET Indonesia’s likely loser in presidential race tries to delay result
- 07:07 CET Fight against domestic violence stalls in patriarchal Turkey
- 06:29 CET Body of fugitive South Korea ferry businessman found, police say