The fight against Barack Obama’s proposed gun control measures is getting personal.
The National Rifle Association has produced a video accusing the President of hypocrisy for accepting armed protection for his two girls in school while attempting to limit gun ownership for others.
The White House labelled it “repugnant”.
Insults aside, the issue here is a thorny one of individual rights vs public safety.
“There is an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants, including gun owners and NRA (National Rifle Association) members and what our elected officials are doing about it. It is going to be up to us, the American public, to close that disconnect.” said Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
In a year of similar tragedies, the Sandy Hook elementary school killings seem to have been one tragedy too far.
Massachusetts has introduced laws tightening the sale of weapons and ammunition.
The day before, New York State adopted some of the toughest new legislation in the US.
It remains to be seen what Obama can do, given the cross-party political support for the NRA.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:52 CET Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland: Polish ex-minister
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc