The fight against Barack Obama’s proposed gun control measures is getting personal.
The National Rifle Association has produced a video accusing the President of hypocrisy for accepting armed protection for his two girls in school while attempting to limit gun ownership for others.
The White House labelled it “repugnant”.
Insults aside, the issue here is a thorny one of individual rights vs public safety.
“There is an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants, including gun owners and NRA (National Rifle Association) members and what our elected officials are doing about it. It is going to be up to us, the American public, to close that disconnect.” said Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
In a year of similar tragedies, the Sandy Hook elementary school killings seem to have been one tragedy too far.
Massachusetts has introduced laws tightening the sale of weapons and ammunition.
The day before, New York State adopted some of the toughest new legislation in the US.
It remains to be seen what Obama can do, given the cross-party political support for the NRA.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 4Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 5Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Talks on Ukraine take place despite escalation in fighting
Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
Wires > News
- 06:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…
- 03:52 CET Obama administration faces criticism over human trafficking report
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York