The fight against Barack Obama’s proposed gun control measures is getting personal.
The National Rifle Association has produced a video accusing the President of hypocrisy for accepting armed protection for his two girls in school while attempting to limit gun ownership for others.
The White House labelled it “repugnant”.
Insults aside, the issue here is a thorny one of individual rights vs public safety.
“There is an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants, including gun owners and NRA (National Rifle Association) members and what our elected officials are doing about it. It is going to be up to us, the American public, to close that disconnect.” said Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
In a year of similar tragedies, the Sandy Hook elementary school killings seem to have been one tragedy too far.
Massachusetts has introduced laws tightening the sale of weapons and ammunition.
The day before, New York State adopted some of the toughest new legislation in the US.
It remains to be seen what Obama can do, given the cross-party political support for the NRA.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:21 CET Egypt court ruling opens way for possible election delay
- 10:00 CET Bangladesh pays tribute to American blogger killed in machete…
- 08:32 CET Activist monk seeks Buddhism overhaul in Thailand over corruption…
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil