The fight against Barack Obama’s proposed gun control measures is getting personal.
The National Rifle Association has produced a video accusing the President of hypocrisy for accepting armed protection for his two girls in school while attempting to limit gun ownership for others.
The White House labelled it “repugnant”.
Insults aside, the issue here is a thorny one of individual rights vs public safety.
“There is an extraordinary disconnect between what the American public wants, including gun owners and NRA (National Rifle Association) members and what our elected officials are doing about it. It is going to be up to us, the American public, to close that disconnect.” said Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
In a year of similar tragedies, the Sandy Hook elementary school killings seem to have been one tragedy too far.
Massachusetts has introduced laws tightening the sale of weapons and ammunition.
The day before, New York State adopted some of the toughest new legislation in the US.
It remains to be seen what Obama can do, given the cross-party political support for the NRA.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Eight children stabbed to death in Cairns, Australia
- 2Putin tries to reassure over rouble worries, but also slams the West
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:32 CET North Korea denies hacking Sony, U.S. stands by its assertion
- 00:18 CET Tunisians vote in historic presidential run-off
- 23:03 CET Liberian voter turnout low as Ebola overshadows senate election
- 22:36 CET Yazidis cheer Kurds on Iraqi mountain for breaking Islamic State…
- 22:22 CET Saudi says security forces kill four militants in Shi’ite village
- 22:21 CET Egypt charges captain, officer of Kuwaiti ship with manslaughter
- 21:42 CET Greek polls show anti-bailout leftists still ahead but lead slips
- 21:37 CET French police shoot dead knife-wielding man in police station