Frans Verhoeven of the Netherlands won stage 12 of the Dakar Rally – a 715 kilometre trek from Fiambala in Argentina to Copiapo in Northern Chile.
Verhoeven ended the day’s action one minute and 38 seconds ahead of Portuguese KTM rider Ruben Faria who turned out to be the biggest winner.
Faria reduced the gap on overall race leader and stable mate Cyril Despres who struggled to 14th place. Despres still maintains top spot, although his lead has been cut by Faria to just 5 minutes and 39 seconds.
Spain’s Nani Roma won the stage in the car category in his Mini. He covered the timed 319 km in three hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds.
Roma crossed the line in Copiapo 4 minutes and 18 seconds clear of American and stage 11 winner Robby Gordon.
South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers steered his Toyota to third and nibbled away at the massive lead of Stephane Peterhansel who was fourth on the day.
Peterhansel holds a 50 minute advantage over De Villiers heading into stage 13 between Copiapo and La Serena in Chile.
With two stages remaining and baring accident the Frenchman is looking good for a record-extending 11th Dakar title.
- 1Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Clipper Round the World Yacht Race: LMAX wins stage three
Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
IAAF president Coe quits Nike role amid conflict of interest claims
Jeju Grand Prix: Galbadrakh strikes maiden gold
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Wires > Sport
- 13:50 CET Van Gaal thinks Leicester could win Premier League title
- 13:22 CET Australia bowlers shine on day-night test’s debut
- 13:08 CET Electric series plans driverless championship
- 12:26 CET City’s Caballero backs himself to fill Hart’s boots
- 12:23 CET Manchester United striker Wilson joins Brighton on loan
- 12:14 CET Hamilton fastest in first Abu Dhabi practice
- 11:58 CET Red Bull will have an engine next year, says Horner
- 11:50 CET ‘Angry’ West Ham looking to bounce back, says Bilic