Frans Verhoeven of the Netherlands won stage 12 of the Dakar Rally – a 715 kilometre trek from Fiambala in Argentina to Copiapo in Northern Chile.
Verhoeven ended the day’s action one minute and 38 seconds ahead of Portuguese KTM rider Ruben Faria who turned out to be the biggest winner.
Faria reduced the gap on overall race leader and stable mate Cyril Despres who struggled to 14th place. Despres still maintains top spot, although his lead has been cut by Faria to just 5 minutes and 39 seconds.
Spain’s Nani Roma won the stage in the car category in his Mini. He covered the timed 319 km in three hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds.
Roma crossed the line in Copiapo 4 minutes and 18 seconds clear of American and stage 11 winner Robby Gordon.
South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers steered his Toyota to third and nibbled away at the massive lead of Stephane Peterhansel who was fourth on the day.
Peterhansel holds a 50 minute advantage over De Villiers heading into stage 13 between Copiapo and La Serena in Chile.
With two stages remaining and baring accident the Frenchman is looking good for a record-extending 11th Dakar title.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 18:50 CET Question my performance but not my desire, says Clarke
- 17:46 CET Injured Ibrahimovic ruled out of PSG’s season opener
- 17:43 CET IAAF denies accusations of widespread doping
- 17:24 CET Suarez has extra motivation, says Barca boss Enrique
- 17:21 CET Palestinian West Bank soccer team to play in Gaza for first time…
- 17:19 CET Latham hits maiden ton as rampant New Zealand level series
- 17:14 CET Britain’s Peaty breaks 50 metres breaststroke world record
- 17:13 CET Cipriani’s World Cup hopes alive still after new bail date