Frans Verhoeven of the Netherlands won stage 12 of the Dakar Rally – a 715 kilometre trek from Fiambala in Argentina to Copiapo in Northern Chile.
Verhoeven ended the day’s action one minute and 38 seconds ahead of Portuguese KTM rider Ruben Faria who turned out to be the biggest winner.
Faria reduced the gap on overall race leader and stable mate Cyril Despres who struggled to 14th place. Despres still maintains top spot, although his lead has been cut by Faria to just 5 minutes and 39 seconds.
Spain’s Nani Roma won the stage in the car category in his Mini. He covered the timed 319 km in three hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds.
Roma crossed the line in Copiapo 4 minutes and 18 seconds clear of American and stage 11 winner Robby Gordon.
South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers steered his Toyota to third and nibbled away at the massive lead of Stephane Peterhansel who was fourth on the day.
Peterhansel holds a 50 minute advantage over De Villiers heading into stage 13 between Copiapo and La Serena in Chile.
With two stages remaining and baring accident the Frenchman is looking good for a record-extending 11th Dakar title.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:11 CET Lauda sees another Mercedes duel in 2015
- 14:02 CET Arrivabene replaces Mattiacci at Ferrari
- 13:55 CET Barcelona defender Vermaelen may need surgery
- 13:13 CET Jimenez ready to make his mark at Atletico
- 13:08 CET McLaren board will decide drivers, says Dennis
- 12:47 CET Denmark’s JBS looks to build on Ronaldo underwear range success
- 12:35 CET Mauger taking over as Leicester coach next season
- 12:07 CET Stuttgart coach Veh steps down after losing run