Wikipedia’s parent company, the Wikimedia Foundation, has launched its twelfth official project: Wikivoyage.
Using a similar format to Wikipedia, Wikivoyage.org will be edited by volunteer authors and funded by public donations.
The site currently features around 50,000 articles on both travel destinations and travel topics and is available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
Even though the site is new, the project has a long and complicated history going back to September 2006, when the editors of the German and Italian versions of Wikitravel decided to move their activities to a new site because the owners introduced advertising on the service.
In 2012 the English language version community of Wikitravel also decided as a community to “fork” their project, re-emerging under the Wikivoyage brand, and following from this all Wikivoyage language versions moved their operations to be hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation servers.
It is because of these previous ties that you will currently find many identical articles on the Wikivoyage and Wikitravel websites.
The entirety of Wikivoyage was officially re-launched on January 15, 2013, the day of the 12th anniversary of Wikipedia’s launch.
The not-for-profit website will have an ongoing battle against Wikitravel as well as established sites such as lonelyplanet.com and tripadvisor.com but the group certainly feels that there is a place available in the market.
According to the website: “Wikivoyage is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they’re going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it.”
- 1MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
- 4Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
- 5US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside