Wikipedia’s parent company, the Wikimedia Foundation, has launched its twelfth official project: Wikivoyage.
Using a similar format to Wikipedia, Wikivoyage.org will be edited by volunteer authors and funded by public donations.
The site currently features around 50,000 articles on both travel destinations and travel topics and is available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
Even though the site is new, the project has a long and complicated history going back to September 2006, when the editors of the German and Italian versions of Wikitravel decided to move their activities to a new site because the owners introduced advertising on the service.
In 2012 the English language version community of Wikitravel also decided as a community to “fork” their project, re-emerging under the Wikivoyage brand, and following from this all Wikivoyage language versions moved their operations to be hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation servers.
It is because of these previous ties that you will currently find many identical articles on the Wikivoyage and Wikitravel websites.
The entirety of Wikivoyage was officially re-launched on January 15, 2013, the day of the 12th anniversary of Wikipedia’s launch.
The not-for-profit website will have an ongoing battle against Wikitravel as well as established sites such as lonelyplanet.com and tripadvisor.com but the group certainly feels that there is a place available in the market.
According to the website: “Wikivoyage is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they’re going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Rival warnings echo growing US-Russia gulf over Ukraine
- 4Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 16:44 CET Iraqi Kurds prepare Sinjar mountain offensive
- 16:40 CET UPDATE 4-Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of…
- 16:36 CET Over 800 seaborne migrants saved in Italy, northern Cyprus
- 16:33 CET Israeli cabinet approves Jewish nation-state law
- 15:28 CET Iraqi forces say retake two towns from Islamic State
- 14:44 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gazan border – Palestinian…
- 14:28 CET Fighters from Syrian al Qaeda wing close in on Shi’ite village -…
- 14:14 CET Over 25 killed in attack on Nigerian fishing community