Wikipedia’s parent company, the Wikimedia Foundation, has launched its twelfth official project: Wikivoyage.
Using a similar format to Wikipedia, Wikivoyage.org will be edited by volunteer authors and funded by public donations.
The site currently features around 50,000 articles on both travel destinations and travel topics and is available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
Even though the site is new, the project has a long and complicated history going back to September 2006, when the editors of the German and Italian versions of Wikitravel decided to move their activities to a new site because the owners introduced advertising on the service.
In 2012 the English language version community of Wikitravel also decided as a community to “fork” their project, re-emerging under the Wikivoyage brand, and following from this all Wikivoyage language versions moved their operations to be hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation servers.
It is because of these previous ties that you will currently find many identical articles on the Wikivoyage and Wikitravel websites.
The entirety of Wikivoyage was officially re-launched on January 15, 2013, the day of the 12th anniversary of Wikipedia’s launch.
The not-for-profit website will have an ongoing battle against Wikitravel as well as established sites such as lonelyplanet.com and tripadvisor.com but the group certainly feels that there is a place available in the market.
According to the website: “Wikivoyage is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they’re going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:30 CET Special Report – How China’s shadowy agency is working to absorb…
- 02:23 CET India-Pakistan friction threatens South Asia trade at Himalayan…
- 02:01 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 01:57 CET Taiwan vote tests waters for pro-China government ahead of…
- 01:08 CET MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given…
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms
- 22:04 CET Exclusive – Poor and besieged, Myanmar’s Rakhine join Rohingya…
- 21:40 CET Cameroon army says frees 16 hostages, including Polish priest