West African nations could begin deploying troops in Mali within 48 hours, according to the head of the beleaguered country’s army.
As military chiefs from the region met in Bamako to discuss the operation, Ibrahim Dembele said the situation would have become catastrophic without French intervention.
One source said Niger and Nigeria were ready to send in troops overland.
The European Union has been looking to increase its involvement. Several countries have pledged logistical support.
So has the US, whose Defence Secretary Leon Panetta was in Rome. His Italian counterpart and host, Giampaolo Di Paola, said both countries backed the French intervention to stop the jihadist advance. The European plan would become clearer, he added, after EU foreign ministers meet on Thursday.
Mali’s foreign minister is due to be present in Brussels. The meeting is expected to focus on developing a training programme for Malian troops, already voted through last month. Around ten EU countries have promised to send personnel and equipment.
A Belgian airforce transport plane left Brussels on Wednesday carrying 35 soldiers en route for Mali. Another plane and two helicopters are also to be involved. The Belgian defence minister said help would be restricted to medical assistance and supplies.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Syria: Ceasefire breaks down in three strategic towns
Ministers discuss how to protect Europe’s trains from terrorism
Bahrain policeman killed in ‘terrorist’ blast
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Wires > News
- 11:13 CET Egyptian court sentences Al Jazeera journalists to three years in…
- 10:30 CET Nigeria says uncovers Boko Haram spy ring at Abuja airport
- 10:20 CET Thousands join rally to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…