West African nations could begin deploying troops in Mali within 48 hours, according to the head of the beleaguered country’s army.
As military chiefs from the region met in Bamako to discuss the operation, Ibrahim Dembele said the situation would have become catastrophic without French intervention.
One source said Niger and Nigeria were ready to send in troops overland.
The European Union has been looking to increase its involvement. Several countries have pledged logistical support.
So has the US, whose Defence Secretary Leon Panetta was in Rome. His Italian counterpart and host, Giampaolo Di Paola, said both countries backed the French intervention to stop the jihadist advance. The European plan would become clearer, he added, after EU foreign ministers meet on Thursday.
Mali’s foreign minister is due to be present in Brussels. The meeting is expected to focus on developing a training programme for Malian troops, already voted through last month. Around ten EU countries have promised to send personnel and equipment.
A Belgian airforce transport plane left Brussels on Wednesday carrying 35 soldiers en route for Mali. Another plane and two helicopters are also to be involved. The Belgian defence minister said help would be restricted to medical assistance and supplies.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…