US President Barack Obama has announced his proposals for new gun control measures a month after 26 people were shot dead at Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut.
Speaking from the White House the democratic president announced 23 executive actions which do not require congressional approval.
But said the only real change can be achieved with its help:
“As important as these steps are they are in no way a substitute for action from members of the Congress,” he said.
“To make a real and lasting difference Congress too must act. First it’s time for Congress to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun; Second, Congress should restore a ban on military style assault weapons and a 10 round limit magazines.
The US has one of the highest rates of civilian gun ownership in the world.
By taking this stance the President looks set for a showdown with firearms rights advocates who see any restriction of firearms as against the second amendment of the US constitution, the right to bear arms.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 19:35 CET Local al Qaeda claims February murder of U.S. citizen in…
- 19:29 CET Pope tells elderly and sick he, too, is old and ailing
- 19:06 CET Islamic State hit with 19 air strikes by U.S., allies – statement
- 18:02 CET Amnesty says Egypt using courts and jail to intimidate journalists
- 17:43 CET Progress toward peace talks unclear as Taliban, Afghan figures meet
- 16:29 CET Philippine rebels kill most wanted Islamist militant in south
- 15:43 CET German prosecutors launch investigation of spying charges
- 15:31 CET Madagascar leader says ends house arrest of ex-president