US President Barack Obama has announced his proposals for new gun control measures a month after 26 people were shot dead at Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut.
Speaking from the White House the democratic president announced 23 executive actions which do not require congressional approval.
But said the only real change can be achieved with its help:
“As important as these steps are they are in no way a substitute for action from members of the Congress,” he said.
“To make a real and lasting difference Congress too must act. First it’s time for Congress to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun; Second, Congress should restore a ban on military style assault weapons and a 10 round limit magazines.
The US has one of the highest rates of civilian gun ownership in the world.
By taking this stance the President looks set for a showdown with firearms rights advocates who see any restriction of firearms as against the second amendment of the US constitution, the right to bear arms.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 2Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 3‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 444 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 5At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET China expels top police official from Communist Party
- 14:35 CET Six migrants drown off Morocco near Spanish enclave – state media
- 14:32 CET Death toll in Pakistan Shi’ite mosque explosion jumps to 40
- 14:12 CET Attacker opens fire at Istanbul police post, no casualties -…
- 14:08 CET South Africa’s ‘Prime Evil’ apartheid killer freed on parole
- 14:05 CET Syria battle between al Qaeda and Western-backed group spreads
- 13:54 CET Senior Thai police sentenced to six years for lese majeste…
- 13:48 CET Israel issues tenders for new settler homes ahead of election