In Mali street battles are said to have been taking place between French special forces and Islamist militants in the town of Diabali, which fell into rebel hands on Monday.
Reports say French troop reinforcements have been arriving in the zone where jihadist groups are active.
French and Malian soldiers have been heading north from Bamako, the African country’s capital, as the ground operation gets underway.
On Tuesday hundreds of troops headed north from Niono. Diabali, 50 kilometres away, was bombarded several times by the French air force.
But witnesses say militants are still there.
“We’re in a better position than last week but the combat continues and it will be long, let’s be honest, the goal is to make sure that Mali regains all of its territory’s sovereignty,” said the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian.
In Bamako there is a sense of relief at the French intervention.
“I am happy, very happy about the arrival of the French, for the freedom of the Malian people. There you are. We want the unity of our country and a Republican state and throw out once and for all the terrorists and narco-traffickers,” said resident Oumar Camara.
President Hollande has said the aim is to “destroy the terrorists”.
The number of French troops in the country is set to treble, before a West African force becomes operational.
Army chiefs from the West African force are meeting in Bamako to fine-tune the operation, being launched under a UN mandate.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 14:46 CET Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- 14:07 CET Friend and foe, world leaders coming together for Mandela
- 14:03 CET Kuwaiti court acquits 70 accused over 2011 storming of parliament
- 13:06 CET Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical weapons
- 12:32 CET Japan PM Abe’s ratings slide after state secrets act
- 12:27 CET Kurdish militants free abducted Turkish soldiers
- 12:11 CET Indonesia train crashes into fuel truck, killing 10 in ball of fire
- 11:14 CET China expresses regret over S. Korea air defence zone