Police have confirmed two people have died at the scene of a helicopter crash in south London and 12 others have been injured.
The pilot, who was the only one aboard the helicopter, was killed. The other fatality was a person on the ground. One of the injured remains in a critical condition.
The helicopter hit a construction crane working on one of Europe’s tallest residential buildings during the morning rush hour.
It came down close in Vauxhall on south bank of the River Thames not far from the headquarters of Britain’s MI6 international intelligence agency and the Houses of Parliament, but police have ruled out a terrorism link to the crash.
The aircraft fell to the ground and burst into flames
near Vauxhall train station, a major transport hub, which was packed with thousands of commuters at the time of the incident .
“We were sitting having a coffee about 7.30 and we just heard an explosion. It sounded like a fighter plane flying over, and we just heard a loud explosion and we thought there’d been a terrorist attack and we came straight out onto the main road, and there were these huge plumes of smoke over the back there,” said Matt Harveson who was near by.
Another eyewitness added: “I was on top of (a nearby) building. I saw the helicopter come over and hit the jib of the crane. The helicopter came crashing down. The cab came crashing down into the road and the jib of the crane went straight into the side of the building and it’s hanging out of the side of the building as it is now.”
The top of the building was still shrouded by low cloud hours after the crash. Part of the crane also fell to the ground smashing into two cars.
The crane operator had a lucky escape. He was about to climb up into it, but had been delayed.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,800 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…