Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny took to the stage of the European Parliament in Strasbourg to outline his priorities at the helm of the EU Presidency.
Chief among these was the issue of the Irish economy. Kenny is keen to use Ireland’s unique position as a platform to put its bailout commitments in order.
Addressing the European Parliament, he said:
“We are determined to exit the EU-IMF programme before the end of this year. We face many challenges up ahead, and our economy is still fragile, but I believe that 2013 will be the year in which Ireland exits its programme and shows real leadership to Europe.”
EU council chief Herman van Rompuy decides tomorrow on whether or not to put the next EU budget on the agenda of February’s EU summit.
- 1Europe Weekly: EU backs migrant mission to its south, looks east
- 2Case of Saudi blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes ‘has nothing to do with politics’, says his wife
- 3EU warns eastern neighbours of long road to closer ties
- 4Why isn’t Norway in the EU?
- 5Poroshenko has ‘full evidence’ of Russia’s presence in Ukraine
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y