British supermarket chain Tesco has withdrawn a number of brands of frozen beefburgers from sale in the UK and Ireland after they were found to contain horse meat.
The worst offender was Tesco Everyday Value Beef Burgers, in which it was found that horse meat accounted for 29 percent of the content in one sample.
“We are working with the authorities in Ireland and the UK, and with the supplier concerned, to urgently understand how this has happened and how to ensure it does not happen again,” said Tesco in a statement on Tuesday evening.
DNA tests also showed low levels of horse meat in burgers from Lidl, Aldi, Iceland and Dunnes Stores.
The Republic of Ireland’s food safety authority (FSAI) said the meat containing horse DNA came from two processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and the Dalepak Hambleton plant in Yorkshire.
After analysing 27 products, 10 of them were found to contain horse DNA and 23 contained pig DNA.
The chief executive of the FSAI, Professor Alan Reilly, said there is a “plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA” in beef burgers as meat from different animals is processed in the same plants. However as horse meat is not eaten in the UK or Ireland there is no explanation for this.
Reilly said the findings do not pose a public health risk but said it was concerning.
He added: “For some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable.”
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison
- 23:47 CET Exclusive – Pentagon chief sends military wish lists to Congress…
- 22:22 CET Crash pilot had been treated for suicidal tendencies
- 22:17 CET Red Cross driver killed in north Mali attack
- 22:04 CET Rogue Catholic bishops plan to grow schismatic challenge to Rome
- 21:47 CET Mentally ill British man pleads guilty to U.S. terrorism charges
- 20:12 CET Sollecito may seek compensation after Kercher murder acquittals