The authorities in Cuba are mobilising to contain an outbreak of cholera that has left dozens ill.
51 cases have been reported in the Cuban capital, just over four months since an outbreak in the south of the country.
The news was reported in Cuba’s state newspaper, which also says the outbreak is contained.
But three hospitals have been designated to handle potential cases.
Rumour is rife in the Cerro area of the city. Medical workers are on the scene administering drugs and chlorine for sterilisation.
“They are covering the floor with cloth soaked in chlorine,” one woman told reporters. “We are disinfecting our hands with chlorine. I think it is really important that the world hears about this story, so that people everywhere understand how much we are at risk.”
*If they are going to take precautions then I think they should do it properly,” said another. “They are being very laid-back about it. If it is true that there is an outbreak of cholera, then they should take proper precautions.
Poor hygiene in food outlets is one potential cause, officials say. Systematic inspections are underway and many are being closed.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:09 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal
- 18:04 CET At least 63 killed as speeding Congo train derails – government…