The authorities in Cuba are mobilising to contain an outbreak of cholera that has left dozens ill.
51 cases have been reported in the Cuban capital, just over four months since an outbreak in the south of the country.
The news was reported in Cuba’s state newspaper, which also says the outbreak is contained.
But three hospitals have been designated to handle potential cases.
Rumour is rife in the Cerro area of the city. Medical workers are on the scene administering drugs and chlorine for sterilisation.
“They are covering the floor with cloth soaked in chlorine,” one woman told reporters. “We are disinfecting our hands with chlorine. I think it is really important that the world hears about this story, so that people everywhere understand how much we are at risk.”
*If they are going to take precautions then I think they should do it properly,” said another. “They are being very laid-back about it. If it is true that there is an outbreak of cholera, then they should take proper precautions.
Poor hygiene in food outlets is one potential cause, officials say. Systematic inspections are underway and many are being closed.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 14:12 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 14:09 CET Charges against Myanmar’s ‘Saffron Revolution’ leader pile up
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…