The authorities in Cuba are mobilising to contain an outbreak of cholera that has left dozens ill.
51 cases have been reported in the Cuban capital, just over four months since an outbreak in the south of the country.
The news was reported in Cuba’s state newspaper, which also says the outbreak is contained.
But three hospitals have been designated to handle potential cases.
Rumour is rife in the Cerro area of the city. Medical workers are on the scene administering drugs and chlorine for sterilisation.
“They are covering the floor with cloth soaked in chlorine,” one woman told reporters. “We are disinfecting our hands with chlorine. I think it is really important that the world hears about this story, so that people everywhere understand how much we are at risk.”
*If they are going to take precautions then I think they should do it properly,” said another. “They are being very laid-back about it. If it is true that there is an outbreak of cholera, then they should take proper precautions.
Poor hygiene in food outlets is one potential cause, officials say. Systematic inspections are underway and many are being closed.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Tunisia: Deadly bus blast kills at least 12
All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
Obama and Hollande call for greater cooperation against ISIL
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET Hurricane Sandra forms off Mexico’s Pacific coast, seen…
- 04:00 CET Chicago charges officer in black teen’s death, releases video of…
- 03:24 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande meets…
- 02:58 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 02:04 CET Report says combination of errors led to U.S. bombing of …
- 01:49 CET No explosives found in U.S.-bound parcels at Cairo airport – DHL
- 00:33 CET Argentine president-elect picks U.N. insider as his top diplomat
- 00:24 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12