After a year’s sabbatical former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will make his highly-anticipated return to football in Germany next season.
The 41-year-old, who earlier in the day expressed his desire to manage an English Premier League club in future, was on Wednesday appointed to replace Jupp Heynckes as coach of Bayern Munich next term.
In a stunning four seasons at the Camp Nou the Spaniard led European heavyweights Barca to 14 trophies including two Champions League crowns and three straight La Liga titles.
Bayern Munich – who last won Europe’s top club competition in 2001 and the Bundesliga two seasons ago – said Guardiola will take over from Heynckes in July and has agreed a contract until the end of June 2016.
Just before Christmas 67-year-old Heynckes announced he would not extend his contract past the summer at which point he will retire from the game.
- 1[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
- 2Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
- 3Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
- 4Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
- 5Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 4European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 5The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Wires > Sport
- 02:15 CET Ronaldo helps Real hand Atletico another final defeat
- 01:31 CET NBA player Bryce Dejean-Jones killed in Dallas shooting
- 22:44 CET Murray aware of Nadal injury during practice
- 20:47 CET Diame fires Hull straight back to the Premier League
- 20:25 CET South Africa name new-look squad for Ireland tests
- 19:47 CET Verstappen hits a learning curve in Monaco
- 19:20 CET Messi’s pain eases, recovery time unclear – Argentina doctor
- 19:01 CET Misfortune is now the norm, says glum Hamilton