After a year’s sabbatical former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will make his highly-anticipated return to football in Germany next season.
The 41-year-old, who earlier in the day expressed his desire to manage an English Premier League club in future, was on Wednesday appointed to replace Jupp Heynckes as coach of Bayern Munich next term.
In a stunning four seasons at the Camp Nou the Spaniard led European heavyweights Barca to 14 trophies including two Champions League crowns and three straight La Liga titles.
Bayern Munich – who last won Europe’s top club competition in 2001 and the Bundesliga two seasons ago – said Guardiola will take over from Heynckes in July and has agreed a contract until the end of June 2016.
Just before Christmas 67-year-old Heynckes announced he would not extend his contract past the summer at which point he will retire from the game.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 02:13 CET Stallings banned three months for doping violation
- 02:09 CET Beware a motivated Park In-bee at U.S. Women’s Open
- 01:20 CET Andy Murray plays with pups in sniffer-dog video
- 01:17 CET Caddie booted from U.S. Women’s Open for photos
- 01:00 CET Los Angeles stages raucous rally for U.S. women’s football team
- 00:04 CET Gerrard says he is not in Los Angeles for a holiday
- 22:51 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 22:50 CET Atletico sign Argentine forward Vietto from Villarreal