After a year’s sabbatical former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will make his highly-anticipated return to football in Germany next season.
The 41-year-old, who earlier in the day expressed his desire to manage an English Premier League club in future, was on Wednesday appointed to replace Jupp Heynckes as coach of Bayern Munich next term.
In a stunning four seasons at the Camp Nou the Spaniard led European heavyweights Barca to 14 trophies including two Champions League crowns and three straight La Liga titles.
Bayern Munich – who last won Europe’s top club competition in 2001 and the Bundesliga two seasons ago – said Guardiola will take over from Heynckes in July and has agreed a contract until the end of June 2016.
Just before Christmas 67-year-old Heynckes announced he would not extend his contract past the summer at which point he will retire from the game.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > Sport
- 01:12 CET Timely eagle earns Pressel one-shot lead
- 00:56 CET Rooney targets silverware as Man United captain
- 22:01 CET McIlroy makes fast getaway after missing Irish cut
- 20:49 CET Latham and Ronchi lead New Zealand recovery
- 18:17 CET Ticket sales for World Cup hit two million mark
- 15:46 CET Platini puts FIFA politics aside to remember Heysel deaths
- 15:28 CET Clubs and families remember Heysel victims 30 years on
- 15:23 CET Suarez fit for King’s Cup final, says Luis Enrique