After a year’s sabbatical former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will make his highly-anticipated return to football in Germany next season.
The 41-year-old, who earlier in the day expressed his desire to manage an English Premier League club in future, was on Wednesday appointed to replace Jupp Heynckes as coach of Bayern Munich next term.
In a stunning four seasons at the Camp Nou the Spaniard led European heavyweights Barca to 14 trophies including two Champions League crowns and three straight La Liga titles.
Bayern Munich – who last won Europe’s top club competition in 2001 and the Bundesliga two seasons ago – said Guardiola will take over from Heynckes in July and has agreed a contract until the end of June 2016.
Just before Christmas 67-year-old Heynckes announced he would not extend his contract past the summer at which point he will retire from the game.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 12:13 CET West Brom sign Wales defender Chester from Hull City
- 12:08 CET Unchanged Australia bat against England in third Ashes test
- 11:36 CET Yao holding court as Beijing bids for Winter Olympics
- 11:22 CET Ad firm Dentsu wins Olympic rights in Asia for 2018-2024
- 10:59 CET Honda apologise to Stoner for Suzuka crash
- 10:58 CET Barca defender Douglas faces two-month injury layoff
- 10:09 CET China’s Sun sets sights on golden haul in Kazan
- 09:23 CET Shakhtar field midfielder despite threat of doping ban