American Kurt Caselli picked up his second stage win of this year’s Dakar Rally when the KTM rider won a rain-hit stage 11 – a 452 km leg of which 190 km were timed – from La Rioja to Fiambalá in Argentina.
Caselli crossed the line four minutes and 45 seconds clear of Portuguese Husqvama rider Paulo Goncalves.
Defending bike champion Cyril Despres of France was third and extended his lead in the general standings to 13 minutes and 16 seconds over Portugal’s Ruben Faria and just over 18 minutes clear of Chilean Francisco Lopez.
The day’s racing in the car category was severely affected by the bad weather which caused flash flooding and made certain sections impossible to drive through.
Race officials were forced to stop the stage after just 53 kilometres.
American Robby Gordon was first to arrive at that checkpoint to win his 8th career Dakar stage. Stephane Peterhansel – the race’s all-time record holder with ten titles – was sixth and had his overall race lead cut to just under 52 minutes by South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers who was fifth on the day.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 20Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
Wires > Sport
- 21:09 CET ‘KJT’ wins first Euro gold with all-round brilliance
- 20:30 CET United defender Evans denies FA spitting charge
- 19:28 CET McLaren play down Alonso memory loss
- 17:07 CET Wembley should be saved for FA Cup final, says Rodgers
- 16:49 CET India captain Dhoni demands more from all-rounder Jadeja
- 16:34 CET King and his consortium win control of Rangers
- 16:32 CET Champions League titles show I am no soft touch, says Ancelotti
- 16:22 CET Djokovic praises Serb fans for applauding Croatia anthem