American Kurt Caselli picked up his second stage win of this year’s Dakar Rally when the KTM rider won a rain-hit stage 11 – a 452 km leg of which 190 km were timed – from La Rioja to Fiambalá in Argentina.
Caselli crossed the line four minutes and 45 seconds clear of Portuguese Husqvama rider Paulo Goncalves.
Defending bike champion Cyril Despres of France was third and extended his lead in the general standings to 13 minutes and 16 seconds over Portugal’s Ruben Faria and just over 18 minutes clear of Chilean Francisco Lopez.
The day’s racing in the car category was severely affected by the bad weather which caused flash flooding and made certain sections impossible to drive through.
Race officials were forced to stop the stage after just 53 kilometres.
American Robby Gordon was first to arrive at that checkpoint to win his 8th career Dakar stage. Stephane Peterhansel – the race’s all-time record holder with ten titles – was sixth and had his overall race lead cut to just under 52 minutes by South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers who was fifth on the day.
- 1Leicester City aiming for maiden top-flight crown at Theatre of Dreams
- 2The world’s greatest goalscorer – remembering Hungary’s Ferenc Puskas
- 3Leicester City’s title-celebrations on ice after Man United draw
- 4Quintana wins Tour de Romandie as Albasini sprints to final stage honours
- 5NBA playoffs: Miami turn up the heat against Hornets to take series to decisive seventh game
- 1Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 2Preview Champions League: Manchester City v Real Madrid
- 3Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
- 4Juventus and Dynamo Kiev secure league crowns, Leicester close in on historic Premier League title
- 5Iranian climber’s World Cup dream comes true
Wires > Sport
- 20:16 CET Burnley unlock riches with promotion to Premier League
- 20:13 CET Bayern winger Ribery ruled fit for Atletico semi-final
- 19:18 CET Atletico to focus on teamwork against Bayern, says Torres
- 19:11 CET Big Gibraltar win in fight for FIFA membership
- 18:44 CET Thought I was dying, says former England batsman Taylor
- 18:26 CET Hulk’s two penalties help Zenit win Russian Cup
- 18:12 CET Ethiopian national coach’s contract terminated after poor results
- 17:54 CET Golf-An, Stuard and Lovemark in New Orleans playoff