American Kurt Caselli picked up his second stage win of this year’s Dakar Rally when the KTM rider won a rain-hit stage 11 – a 452 km leg of which 190 km were timed – from La Rioja to Fiambalá in Argentina.
Caselli crossed the line four minutes and 45 seconds clear of Portuguese Husqvama rider Paulo Goncalves.
Defending bike champion Cyril Despres of France was third and extended his lead in the general standings to 13 minutes and 16 seconds over Portugal’s Ruben Faria and just over 18 minutes clear of Chilean Francisco Lopez.
The day’s racing in the car category was severely affected by the bad weather which caused flash flooding and made certain sections impossible to drive through.
Race officials were forced to stop the stage after just 53 kilometres.
American Robby Gordon was first to arrive at that checkpoint to win his 8th career Dakar stage. Stephane Peterhansel – the race’s all-time record holder with ten titles – was sixth and had his overall race lead cut to just under 52 minutes by South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers who was fifth on the day.
- 1Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
- 2Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
- 3Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
- 4Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
- 5Golden State Warriors save match point in Western Conference final
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 4European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 5The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Golden State Warriors save match point in Western Conference final
Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
Wires > Sport
- 09:14 CET Super Rugby format needs to be looked at – Rennie
- 05:19 CET Messi worries Argentina with back injury in 1-0 win
- 04:50 CET Spieth two behind leader Molder at weather-hit Colonial
- 02:50 CET Medical experts want Rio Olympics delayed or moved due to Zika
- 02:50 CET Lavanini, Herrera may miss Pumas clashes after red cards
- 23:43 CET Northern Ireland extend unbeaten run with Belarus win
- 23:28 CET Rashford nets place in record books as England win
- 22:55 CET Euro-bound Ireland held to draw by late Dutch strike