American Kurt Caselli picked up his second stage win of this year’s Dakar Rally when the KTM rider won a rain-hit stage 11 – a 452 km leg of which 190 km were timed – from La Rioja to Fiambalá in Argentina.
Caselli crossed the line four minutes and 45 seconds clear of Portuguese Husqvama rider Paulo Goncalves.
Defending bike champion Cyril Despres of France was third and extended his lead in the general standings to 13 minutes and 16 seconds over Portugal’s Ruben Faria and just over 18 minutes clear of Chilean Francisco Lopez.
The day’s racing in the car category was severely affected by the bad weather which caused flash flooding and made certain sections impossible to drive through.
Race officials were forced to stop the stage after just 53 kilometres.
American Robby Gordon was first to arrive at that checkpoint to win his 8th career Dakar stage. Stephane Peterhansel – the race’s all-time record holder with ten titles – was sixth and had his overall race lead cut to just under 52 minutes by South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers who was fifth on the day.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 03:53 CET Australia wrong to drop Haddin for third test – Ponting
- 01:30 CET Mexico fire coach Herrera after alleged punching incident
- 23:41 CET Family of black golf legend Sifford accused of stealing $1 million
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built