American Kurt Caselli picked up his second stage win of this year’s Dakar Rally when the KTM rider won a rain-hit stage 11 – a 452 km leg of which 190 km were timed – from La Rioja to Fiambalá in Argentina.
Caselli crossed the line four minutes and 45 seconds clear of Portuguese Husqvama rider Paulo Goncalves.
Defending bike champion Cyril Despres of France was third and extended his lead in the general standings to 13 minutes and 16 seconds over Portugal’s Ruben Faria and just over 18 minutes clear of Chilean Francisco Lopez.
The day’s racing in the car category was severely affected by the bad weather which caused flash flooding and made certain sections impossible to drive through.
Race officials were forced to stop the stage after just 53 kilometres.
American Robby Gordon was first to arrive at that checkpoint to win his 8th career Dakar stage. Stephane Peterhansel – the race’s all-time record holder with ten titles – was sixth and had his overall race lead cut to just under 52 minutes by South African 2009 winner Giniel De Villiers who was fifth on the day.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:00 CET Eder strikes on debut to salvage Italy draw in Bulgaria
- 21:31 CET Odegaard becomes youngest to start Euro qualifier
- 21:11 CET Croatia rout Norway 5-1 but Kovac wants more
- 20:58 CET Xavi close to deal with Al Sadd, says Qatari club
- 20:49 CET Bale, Ramsey on target as Wales crush Israel 3-0
- 20:40 CET Czechs grab late goal to salvage 1-1 Latvia draw
- 20:30 CET Former F1 racer Montagny banned for doping
- 20:28 CET Woods will fall outside world’s top 100 on Monday