Italy’s former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has launched a scathing attack on leading European parliamentarians within his own centre-right bloc.
It comes as polls show his centre-right coalition is making rapid gains ahead of next month’s elections.
In an exclusive interview with euronews the head of Italy’s opposition People of Freedom criticises the European People’s Party leader Joseph Daul for backing his rival Mario Monti.
Berlusconi believes the EPP’s support for Mario Monti is based on him wanting closer ties with Berlin.
“Daul is just one of the EPP’s 14 deputy presidents. Maybe he has a personal ambitions. Don’t forget he speaks German better than French, because he is from Strasbourg. He just wants to be somebody to give a boost to his political career,” said Berlusconi.
He also dismissed claims of having personal issues with other prominent MEPs such as Martin Schulz and Jean-Claude Juncker.
“I’m sorry but these people are nobody’s in Europe,” he added.
The full interview can be seen from 1930CET on Thursday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
- 2Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 3TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 4South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 5Funeral for teacher hailed a hero in South Korea ferry tragedy
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 3West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 4Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 5South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
Wires > News
- 04:42 CET Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- 04:42 CET China seizure of ship could hurt Japan business – Japan spokesman
- 02:06 CET Japan PM sends offering to Yasukuni Shrine – Japanese media
- 23:27 CET Ex-army chief, leftist to run for Egyptian presidency
- 22:55 CET Italy economy minister says 2014 growth could be above 0.8 percent…
- 21:55 CET Al Qaeda kills 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- 21:12 CET Boston Marathon looks to emerge from shadow of 2013 bombing
- 20:04 CET Technical problems delay reopening of Libya’s Zueitina oil port -…