Italy’s former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has launched a scathing attack on leading European parliamentarians within his own centre-right bloc.
It comes as polls show his centre-right coalition is making rapid gains ahead of next month’s elections.
In an exclusive interview with euronews the head of Italy’s opposition People of Freedom criticises the European People’s Party leader Joseph Daul for backing his rival Mario Monti.
Berlusconi believes the EPP’s support for Mario Monti is based on him wanting closer ties with Berlin.
“Daul is just one of the EPP’s 14 deputy presidents. Maybe he has a personal ambitions. Don’t forget he speaks German better than French, because he is from Strasbourg. He just wants to be somebody to give a boost to his political career,” said Berlusconi.
He also dismissed claims of having personal issues with other prominent MEPs such as Martin Schulz and Jean-Claude Juncker.
“I’m sorry but these people are nobody’s in Europe,” he added.
The full interview can be seen from 1930CET on Thursday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Two killed, 100 injured in gas explosion in Taiwan – Xinhua
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature