The debate over euthanasia has erupted once again in Belgium following the death by lethal injection of two twin brothers who were deaf and blind.
The pair who had lived and worked together all their lives had requested to be put to sleep after being unable to bear not to see and hear each other.
The 45-year-olds were given lethal injections at a hospital in Brussels last month after having a cup of coffee together and saying their goodbyes.
But the case has tested the boundaries of Belgium’s law on assisted suicide which was legalised in 2002.
In 2011, more than 1,100 people were granted the right to die. Almost all were above 60 years old and most had cancer.
Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Switzerland have decriminalised euthanasia.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 3Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 4Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 5Portuguese ex-PM José Socrates questioned in fraud probe
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 03:16 CET German couple found murdered in Caribbean island of Tobago
- 02:02 CET Tunisians go to polls for presidential election
- 00:46 CET Poland’s ruling party wins most seats in regional elections
- 23:47 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan
- 23:43 CET Suspected Islamist fighters kill two children, abduct 10
- 22:20 CET Irish PM’s party popularity hit by water levy protests – poll
- 22:04 CET Iran nuclear talks may be extended as U.S. sees ‘big gaps’
- 21:16 CET Demonstrators clash with French police over protester death