The debate over euthanasia has erupted once again in Belgium following the death by lethal injection of two twin brothers who were deaf and blind.
The pair who had lived and worked together all their lives had requested to be put to sleep after being unable to bear not to see and hear each other.
The 45-year-olds were given lethal injections at a hospital in Brussels last month after having a cup of coffee together and saying their goodbyes.
But the case has tested the boundaries of Belgium’s law on assisted suicide which was legalised in 2002.
In 2011, more than 1,100 people were granted the right to die. Almost all were above 60 years old and most had cancer.
Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Switzerland have decriminalised euthanasia.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city