Snow has continued to cover large parts of Europe, causing a massive pile-up on a motorway bridge in Sweden which left three people dead.
Police estimated that 100 vehicles were involved in the crash on the E4 motorway near Helsingborg, on the southwest coast.
Both directions of the highway were affected and remained closed for several hours.
While flights took off from Rotterdam and other airports in the Netherlands with just slight delays, the Dutch motoring organisation ANWB reported more than 1,000 kilometres of traffic jams.
Some Dutch rail routes were operating at less than half their normal service, leaving some to use human power to get about Amsterdam.
Further south, Belgians were warned to expect a further blanket of snow over the next day or so.
Northern Spain was not spared either. While temperatures have dropped across the country, some parts of Catalonia and Navarra were hit by particularly heavy snowfall. In total 23 regions remain on alert.
The big freeze across much of central and eastern Europe is expected to remain until the end of the week.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Britain’s Queen Elizabeth goes nuts over nibbles at Buckingham Palace
- 3North Korea outrage over behaviour of Kim Jong-un’s uncle
- 4Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 5CCTV footage of suicide bomb attack on Yemen Defence Ministry released
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 17:57 CET Schaeuble to remain finance minister in new government – sources
- 17:47 CET Brazil’s Rousseff popularity keeps climbing ahead of 2014 vote
- 17:36 CET Russian parliament backs bill barring Putin foe from elections
- 17:22 CET Human remains found in a suspected mass grave in Serbia
- 17:18 CET Wintry storm grips Middle East, worsens misery of Syrians
- 17:09 CET Militia attack in Central African Republic kills 27 – UN
- 17:00 CET Coal mine blast in western China kills 21
- 16:26 CET Man accused of murdering British soldier opts not to give evidence