Snow has continued to cover large parts of Europe, causing a massive pile-up on a motorway bridge in Sweden which left three people dead.
Police estimated that 100 vehicles were involved in the crash on the E4 motorway near Helsingborg, on the southwest coast.
Both directions of the highway were affected and remained closed for several hours.
While flights took off from Rotterdam and other airports in the Netherlands with just slight delays, the Dutch motoring organisation ANWB reported more than 1,000 kilometres of traffic jams.
Some Dutch rail routes were operating at less than half their normal service, leaving some to use human power to get about Amsterdam.
Further south, Belgians were warned to expect a further blanket of snow over the next day or so.
Northern Spain was not spared either. While temperatures have dropped across the country, some parts of Catalonia and Navarra were hit by particularly heavy snowfall. In total 23 regions remain on alert.
The big freeze across much of central and eastern Europe is expected to remain until the end of the week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:32 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing
- 16:54 CET Jokowi party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election
- 16:49 CET Striking South African unions considering latest offer
- 16:47 CET Italy parliament votes to allow arrest of Berlusconi ally
- 16:44 CET Kuwait revokes citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 16:42 CET Gunfire rings out near military base in Congo’s capital -witnesses
- 16:41 CET Colombian mine mechanics, government to seek end to 12-day strike