Snow has continued to cover large parts of Europe, causing a massive pile-up on a motorway bridge in Sweden which left three people dead.
Police estimated that 100 vehicles were involved in the crash on the E4 motorway near Helsingborg, on the southwest coast.
Both directions of the highway were affected and remained closed for several hours.
While flights took off from Rotterdam and other airports in the Netherlands with just slight delays, the Dutch motoring organisation ANWB reported more than 1,000 kilometres of traffic jams.
Some Dutch rail routes were operating at less than half their normal service, leaving some to use human power to get about Amsterdam.
Further south, Belgians were warned to expect a further blanket of snow over the next day or so.
Northern Spain was not spared either. While temperatures have dropped across the country, some parts of Catalonia and Navarra were hit by particularly heavy snowfall. In total 23 regions remain on alert.
The big freeze across much of central and eastern Europe is expected to remain until the end of the week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest