There has been a sharp rise in cases of respiratory illness in China as the capital experiences a record level of dangerous air pollution.
A toxic haze has smothered Beijing and many other cities for days, prompting complaints even from the strictly controlled state media.
A doctor at Beijing Childrens’ hospital said: “People who have a poor immune system or have been sick recently are especially vulnerable in this weather.”
The number of children with breathing problems is now three times higher than usual according to local hospitals.
Air quality in Beijing was far above hazardous levels over the weekend, reaching 755 on an index that measures particulate matter in the air with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers. A level of
300 is considered dangerous while the World Health Organisation recommends a daily level of no more than 20.
The Beijing branch of China’s environmental watchdog said in its microblog on Monday that it had implemented a one-day emergency pollution reduction plan, which aimed to reduce the number of government cars on roads and to cut emissions at 54 factories by 30 percent.
Digging and demolition work at 28 construction sites would be temporarily halted, it said, but offered no details on the projects or factories involved in the plan.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag
Wires > News
- 22:28 CET Libya’s elected parliament extends mandate, complicating peace…
- 22:21 CET NATO denounces Russian incursion into Turkish airspace
- 21:36 CET U.S. official defends surveillance on eve of EU data ruling
- 21:24 CET Greece’s Tsipras pleads for debt relief with austere budget
- 21:17 CET Pakistan denies man hanged by Taliban was one of its spies
- 21:16 CET Key player in Guatemala corruption scandal turns himself in
- 20:59 CET German interior minister calls for limit to number of refugees
- 20:41 CET Pilot falls ill on American flight from Phoenix to Boston, dies