A military train carrying young recruits to an army camp has derailed in a suburb of Cairo. At least 19 people have been killed and more than a hundred injured.
Sources say the train was on its way into the Egyptian capital when it came off the tracks.
Egypt’s roads and railways have a poor safety record. People have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce even basic safeguards.
Last November, 50 people, most of them children, were killed when a train ploughed into a school bus at a crossing just south of Cairo.
Wires > News
- 12:03 CET Trump praises Sanders but may struggle to win over his voters
- 11:53 CET Russian foreign ministry summons Polish ambassador
- 11:45 CET South African court calls for review of decision to drop Zuma…
- 11:42 CET Thailand jails eight activists charged with sedition
- 11:38 CET German minister concerned migrant numbers via Libya, Italy will…
- 11:35 CET Austrian presidential election too close to call, poll suggests
- 11:18 CET German conservatives, Greens set for state coalition – source
- 10:57 CET Russia, U.S. agree ‘regime of silence’ in Syria from midnight on…