French warplanes have carried out a new wave of air strikes against Islamist militant targets in Mali.
It is unclear how many aircraft took part in the overnight manoeuvre but officials say their objectives were met. One target was the town of Diabaly, in which rebels entered on Monday.
France has already 750 troops on the ground and now wants to increase that number to 2,500 in the coming weeks.
Speaking during a day visit to Abu Dhabi, French President Francois Hollande, expressed confidence that French forces could swiftly stop the Islamist insurgency and return Mali to normal, especially with extra support from an African contingency.
It is thought some 3,300 Ecowas regional troops will be deployed as foreseen in a UN backed intervention plan.
West African military chiefs are due to meet in Mali on Tuesday to discuss how such an alliance would operate on the ground.
Senegal, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and Guinea have all offered troops. But regional powerhouse Nigeria, which is due to lead the mission, has cautioned that even if some troops arrive in Mali soon, training will take time.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 2Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 3Crimea votes in a Russian election as opposition fears failure
- 4Second Russian aid convoy crosses into Ukraine as Kremlin takes aim at US, EU ties
- 5Paris hosts conference on Islamic State militants
- 1Crimea votes in a Russian election as opposition fears failure
- 2Independence vote in Scotland sparks debate in Wales
- 3Second Russian aid convoy crosses into Ukraine as Kremlin takes aim at US, EU ties
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 1Iceland’s latest volcano eruption worsens
- 2Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 3Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava
- 4Two caryatids unearthed by archaeologists in Ancient Amphipolis
- 5Family tragedy shocks America after father kills five children
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 15Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:39 CET Islamic militant’s death sparks eulogies in Malaysia
- 10:26 CET New Zealand dismisses Snowden’s claim it planned mass domestic…
- 10:09 CET South Africa probes two Nigerians, Israeli over $9.3 million cash…
- 10:05 CET Swedish Social Democrats face tough coalition talks after election
- 10:02 CET Australia probes ‘threats’ against hospitals days after stepping…
- 09:39 CET Russian PM Medvedev says Western sanctions are testing country’s…
- 09:03 CET Powerful hurricane Odile barrels through Mexico’s Baja tourist…
- 09:01 CET Worry, mystification in China over Scotland independence vote